Site Tools & Extras
American Motors eXperimental
1978 Concord AMX
Excitement is the word for the new AMX.
From the sweep of the front fender to the flair of the rear deck, AMX's bold design transforms everyday driving into an exciting experience.
You'll know AMX by the racy side identification, front and rear painted bumpers, front air dam, stylish front and rear fender /flares and rear window louvers. And check the dual flat black mirrors, roof band, color-coordinated slot styled wheels, and the mean, blacked out grille.
Inside AMX you'll be turned on to a floor console, rally gauges with tachometer, unique door trim panels, brushed aluminum instrument panel and the "soft-feel" sport steering wheel. Enjoy every minute in the comfort of your soft-feel vinyl bucket seats trimmed smartly in black, blue or beige. Wrap it all up in one of these bold colors! Firecracker Red, Sunshine Yellow, Quick Silver Metallic, Alpine White or a special Classic Black with gold accents. Then add options like air conditioning and AM/FM stereo to help you adapt your AMX to the weather or your mood.
AMX: An exciting sporty car that makes driving come alive at an affordable price. With the exclusive AMC BUYER PROTECTION PLAN.
1978 Concord AMX
- Power team: 258 CID 6-cylinder engine; 4-speed manual floor shift transmission (automatic floor shift (Optional at extra cast and is required with 304-V8 engine)*
- Front and rear painted bumpers with bumper guards and nerfin strips
- Front air dam (black)
- Front and rear fender flares (black)
- Rear window louvers (black)
- "AMX" body side and interior graphics
- Brushed aluminum roof hand with special insignia
- Dual flat black mirrors (LH remote)
- Slot styled wheels (4)
- Blacked out unique grille, headlight bezels, rear window molding door and quarter frames, lower hack panel license plate depression and wiper arms
- DR78 x 14 BSW steel belted radial tires
- Front sway bar
- Rally instrumentation and tachometer
- Flipper rear quarter windows
- Custom door trim panels with map packets
- Door and quarter window belt moldings
- Brushed aluminum instrument panel overlays
- Soft-feel sport steering wheel (black)
- Unique body side scuff moldings (black)
- Day/night mirror
- 22-gallon fuel tank
- Instrument panel package tray
- Inside hood release
- Tri-color taillamps
- Choice of 5 exterior colors (Alpine White, Firecracker Red, Sunshine Yellow, Quick Silver Metallic car special Classic Black with Gold accents)
- Unique for Black AMX: gold decal on roof hand, front doors and fenders; gold stripe on black slot styled wheels, black windshield reveal moldings
- New soft-feel vinyl bucket seats in black, blue or beige.
Note: The Rear Window Defogger option is recommended with the AMX. "Levi's" Trim Package is optional in black, blue or beige.
*The California AMX uses the 258 CID engine with 1 barrel carburetor and the 4-speed transmission.
|Std. 258 6 cyl.||Opt. 304 V-8|
|Bore and Stroke||3.75" x 3.90"||3.75" x 3.44"|
|Torque-Command Auto on console||Opt.||Opt.|
|4-Speed Manual on floor||Std.||--|
Quick Silver, Met.
"Pride of Kenosha"
Automotive Fine Art of Artist Michael Irvine
AMC Muscle Cars Interchangeable Parts Buyers Guide 1968-1974: Salvage Yard Buyers Guide
AMC Body Trim and Glass Interchangeable Parts: AMX, Javelin, Javelin SST 1968-1974
American Motors (AMC) Concord, Hornet, Gremlin, Spirit Repair Manual 1970-1983
American Motors (AMC) Coupes, Sedans, Wagons Repair Manual 1975-1988