PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Amx

Randy
02-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi. I own a 1968 AMX and have gotten a part mine is missing. its called a transmission knock down switch.I believe.it hooks to my throttle linkage and a push plate hits the button. my question is, Will this affect the way car takes off now since I dont have one on there now? any help would be great!...thanks Randy

donsjave
02-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I suppose it doesn't reallly matter, just that when you want the kickdown to work, it won't be there. I have found that car is somewhat a little sluggest when you want to go. I guess you could manually put it into the gear you want when you need to go to passing gear. I managed to find a new electric one for my BW at the local parts store, but cannot say for sure if this is a thing that you can find easlily. ON my 71 Javelin,my switch was located on the swing arm of the pedal itself and the only thing that was on the acelletor was the dashpot for the old series carbs that AMC installed on the cars. Do not recollect ever seeing anything else on the pre 70's AMCs.

Randy
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi. Thanks fpr the input.my car in on the web site here its picture number 110 I believe.will put that switch in and see what happens.also I remove a nitrous system from my car and the timing was off the chart.where is the best place to start to reduce spark knock when I punch it?..think I am at like 8 degrees above TDC right now..thank for the help...Randy

donsjave
02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Try setting the timing at about 10 degrees BTDC and go from there. Some people do it the simple way and that is when it quits pinging, that's where you want it. I did that way for years until I got one of those fancy new tool called a timing light (just kidding), and checked out the timing after I set it by ear and it came in at 8 degrees BTDC. I run here in Denver at about 10-12 degrees, this kind of adjusts for the altitude we are at. No problems to speak of except for the gas we have here, most of it isn't worth running in your lawn mower, so I just kind of shop around to see what I can find that will run the car like it should.