Thread: Transmission

Default Transmission

Has any one have a quick way of changing the transmission fluid in the '84 JEEP GRAND WAGONEER? Thanks!!

Default Wagoneer Fluid Change

You might try disconnecting the cooling lines at the radiator and draining them into a bucket as the engine runs, pumping out the fluid. I am not sure if this gets all the fluid out, of the converter I mean, but if the converter does not have a drain plug, there is no way to drain the converter anyway....

To add to what Kem is suggesting; you may want to remove one line from the cooler and put about a 3' hose over it down into the bucket to keep fluid from going everywhere and to get it out from under the vehicle where you can easily see it. But first drop the pan, put in a new filter, replace the pan gasket and bolt the pan back up. Then add 4-5 quarts of fluid to top it off. Remove the cooler line and put the hose on it going to the bucket. Start it and let it idle (in park) for 45 secs or so (or shut it down if it starts to spit air). Shut it off, check and top off the fluid. Start it again and let it run until you see clean fluid coming out of the hose. You'll probably need 10-12+ quarts of fluid to flush. Once you get clean fluid shut it off, hook the line back up to the cooler, check the level - top it off. Let it run, go through the gears and check for leaks and a final level check. This flushes the converter and all.

Talking

There are places that Big Bad AMX told you to do but in a much bigger way.
    What they do is force new fluid into the system while the old comes out.
    You can tell it's working by watching the color change.

It's still not a bad idea to drop the pan and change the filter first. Then just
    top off the system then have the above done to it. This forces new fluid
    into the torque converter.

Last time I had that done it cost around $80.00 and took about an hour.