Site Tools & Extras
American Motors eXperimental
1971 Javelin AMX
If you were to compete against G.M., Ford and Chrysler, what would you do?
1971 AMX - The toughest of all the Javelins
If you want to intimidate someone, this is the car to do it in.
The 1971 AMX. Every bit as mean as it looks. A spoiler lip on the roof. A spoiler on the rear deck. And an optional one under the front bumper. All functional.
The standard engine is a very tough 360 cubic inch V-8. Mated to a fully synchronized 3-speed floor shift.
And for real intimidating, it has a special "Go" package that includes a T-stripe, curling around the front end and blasting up the middle of the hood. It includes things like a 401 or 360 4-barrel V-8 with cowl induction, dual exhaust, front disc brakes, Twin-Grip differential, E60x15 fiberglass-belted wide-tread tires, 15"x7" mag-style wheels, and more.
The 1971 AMX . . . the toughest of all the Javelins. If you're going to take on the best that GM, Ford and Chrysler can dish out, you've got to be tough.
1971 AMX with twin canopy root, "Go" package T-striping, plus optional front and standard rear air spoilers.
The AMX instrument panel is more like a pilot's cockpit than a driver's dashboard. The specially curved "engine-turned" trim panel houses deeply recessed ammeter and oil pressure gauges, 140-mph speedometer, and a tachometer-clock.
Optional Shift-Command automatic transmission features a console-mounted, stirrup-grip control. Or, choose 4-on-the floor with Hurst shifter.
- Wheelbase 110"
- Length 191.8"
- Width 75.2"
- Front tread for Sixes 59.3", V-8's 59.7"
- Rear tread 60.0"
- Trunk space 10.2 cu. ft.
Exterior & Interior
- All-welded single unit construction (Advanced Unit Construction)
- Deep-Dip rust proofing
- Front seat foam cushions
- Molded ceiling
- Front & rear arm rests
- Interior lights
- Glove box lock
- Dual horns
- Pin stripes
- Front suspension, twin ball joint design with coil springs
- Front suspension sway bar (optional on 6)
- Rear suspension, semi-elliptical leaf springs
- All-Season engine coolant
- Clear-Power battery
- Aluminized exhaust system (duals standard with 401 V-8)
- Brake diameter, Sixes 9", V-8s 10"
- Fuel tank capacity 16 gallons
Heating & Air Conditioning
- Weather-Eye heating & ventilating system
- High-level ventilation system with opt. air cond.
Safe-Command Standard Features
- Seat belts
- Two front shoulder belts
- Two rear shoulder-belt anchors
- Two front head restraints
- 4-Way hazard warning signals
- Lane-changer turn signals
- Automatic back-up lights
- Side-of-car safety marker lights
- High-intensity headlights with "Guard-Glo"
- Inside rear-view mirror with twin ball-joint pivots
- Left side rear-view mirror (plus right side for AMX)
- Windshield washers (manual)
- Non-glare windshield wipers
- Windshield defrosters (heater)
- Single-unit body construction
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Deep-dish steering wheel
- Guard-Rail doors
- High-strength ChemcorTM windshield glass
- Tempered side & rear glass
- Molded ceiling headliner
- Padded sun visors
- Padded instrument panel
- Safety-shaped armrests
- Non-glare finish on inside parts
- Double-Safety brake system
- Brake system warning light
- Self-adjusting brake linings
- Mechanical stop-light switch
- Corrosion-resistant brake lines
- Safety-rim wheels
- Tire tread-wear indicators
- Anti-theft ignition, steering & transmission lock with warning buzzer (less transmission lock some floor-shift models)
- High-strength door locks
- Safety-shaped door handles
- Two-key locking system
- Safety-shaped control knobs
- Safety-styled instrument panel
- Front seat-back lock
- Dual-action hood latch
- C78 x 14 Black (white-twin-line optional) on Sixes
- D78 x 14 Black (white-twin-line optional) on V-8's
- E70 x 14 Black with white letters on AMX
Air-Pollution Control Systems
- Exhaust Emission Control System
- Fuel-Tank Vapor Emission Control System
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation System
- NITROX-TCS System . . . transmission controlled spark to reduce nitrogen oxides (required by State of California)
- All engines run with regular-grade leaded fuel, "low-lead" fuel or with alternate tank fills of "lead-free" fuel (except premium-fuel for 401)
- Vinyl covered roof, black, white, green & blue
- Nylon Corduroy--SST & AMX
- Genuine Leather (front)--SST & AMX
Performance (see "Engine" & "Transmission/Axle Ratio" Charts)
- AMX 360 or 401 "Go" package (1)
- Dual exhaust system for 360-4 barrel (standard on 401)
- V-8 Rally-Pac (oil pressure gauge, ammeter, tack, clock, 140 MPH speedometer)
- Twin-Grip differential (recommended with performance equip., req'd, option with 3.91 axle)
- Quick-ratio manual steering (recommended only for special performance/racing)
- Aluminized exhaust system (duals standard with 401 V-8)
- Front lower spoiler on AMX (rear spoiler standard on AMX only)
- Power steering (recommended with air conditioning)
- Power disc brakes, front (V-8 only)
- Manual disc brakes, front (V-8 only)
- Power brakes
Radio & Tape Equipment
- AM push-button radio
- AM/FM multi-plex stereo push?button radio & 2 rear speakers
- Rear speaker with radio
- 8-Track stereo tape player with manual AM radio
- 2 rear speakers
- Console only (standard on AMX)
- Armrest for console only
- Armrest & center cushion (except AMX)
- Air conditioning (includes H.D. engine cooling & 55 amp, alternator)
- Tinted glass, all windows (recommended with air conditioning) or windshield only
- Trunk lid rack (except AMX)
- Adjust-O-Tilt steering wheel
- Electric clock (standard on AMX)
- Light group (2)
- Electric windshield wipers & electric washers
- Visibility group (includes convenience group, electric windshield wipers & washers)
- Light group (3)
- Headlights-off delay system
- Electric rear window defogger (4)
- Space-Saver spare tire (included with optional styled wheels) (standard on AMX)
- Bumper guards-front & rear
- Insulation group, includes undercoating & hood insulation (standard on AMX)
- Anti-scuff side molding (not with optional rally stripe)
- Clear vinyl floor mats, front and rear
- Locking gas cap (dealer accessory)
- Wheel covers, 4 (n/a AMX, standard SST)
- Custom wheel covers, 4 (except AMX)
- Turbo-Cast or wire wheel covers. 4 (except AMX) Q 14" x 6" Spoke-style wheels, 4 (includes SpaceSaver spare tire). Slot-style wheels std. on AMX
- 15" x 7" Slot-style wheels, 4 (includes Space-Saver spare tire)
- Rally stripes (except AMX)
- Hood T-stripe (AMX with optional "Go" package only)
Heavy-Duty 6 Trailer Equipment
- Handing package--6 cyl. (heavy-duty springs & shocks, plus front sway bar)
- Handling package--V-8 (heavy-duty springs & shocks)
- Trailer towing package No. 1 (5)
- Heavy-duty engine cooling system (included with air conditioning)
- 70 Amp, battery (standard 50 amp. on 6 & 304 V-8, 60 amp. on 360 8. 401 V-8)
- Cold-start package--70 amp. battery & 55 amp. alternator (for cars less A/C) Engine block heater
- D78 x 14 Black (white-twin-line optional) standard on V-8's
- E78 x 14 Black (white-twin-line optional)
- E70 x 14 Black with white letters (standard on AMX)
- E60 x 15 Black with white letters
1. 401 or 360 CID 4-B. V-8, dual exhaust system, cowl-air carburetion, hood T-stripe, black rear panel, 15" x 7" slot-style wheels, E60 x 15 PolyglasTM white-lettered tires. Space-Saver spare tire, handling package, Twin-Grip differential, power disc brakes, Rally-Pac instruments and heavyduty engine cooling.
2. Remote-control left outside mirror, visor vanity mirror and clock (clock standard on AMX).
3. Trunk light, two courtesy lights, map light, glove-box light, parking brake warning light, headlights-on warning butter and low-fuel warning light.
4. Includes 55-amp. alternator and rear-window tinted glass.
5. Package No. 1 for trailers up to 2,000 pounds: car-to-trailer wiring harness kit, heavy-duty engine cooling and automatic transmission oil cooler for 6's (standard on all 6's in California, and on all V-8's).
Std. 360 V-8
Opt. 360 V-8
Opt. 401 V-8
Bore and Stroke
4.08" x 3.44"
4.08" x 3.44"
4.17" x 3.68"
Maximum Brake Horse Power
245 @ 4400 RPM
285 @ 4800 RPM
330 @ 5000 RPM
365 @ 2600 RPM
390 @ 3200 RPM
430 @ 3400 RPM
Transmissions Axle Ratios Std. (Opt.) Axle Ratios Std. (Opt.) Axle Ratios Std. (Opt.) Shift-Command Auto on column
Shift-Command Auto on console
3-Speed Manual on floor
4-Speed Manual on floor
(3.15 & 3.91)
(3.15 & 3.91)
*For AMX with Combination of Auto. Trans. & "Go" Package 360--4-B., 3:15 Std., 2.87 Opt.;
401--4-B., 3.15 Std. (2.87 & 3.54 Opt.)