PDA

View Full Version : Torq links

ricracer
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a question on the factory torq links. Should they be able to slide or should they be set at at one setting? I was working on my 68 AMX this weekend and we noticed that the rear end was in a bind, so we loosened the torq link bolts at the axle and allowed it to have some movement and this trans formed the car ! The ride height was perfect all the way around not lower on the drivers side like before and the ride and handling were pretty good no weird noises and squeaks , it was what I expected after replacing all the bushings and adding KYB's ! I'm new to AMC's and was just wondering?

Big Bad AMX
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
The Torq-Links should be pre-loaded and set accordingly. When properly adjusted they must not move at all in either direction under hard throttle or braking. They are meant to do two things; stop wheel hop under hard acceleration and axle tramp under hard braking. When properly adjusted with rubber bushings, they add 180 pounds of rear roll resistance for cornering. Poly bushings do NOT work as they will slip. Nothing should slip at all.

ricracer
10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
The Torq-Links should be pre-loaded and set accordingly. When properly adjusted they must not move at all in either direction under hard throttle or braking. They are meant to do two things; stop wheel hop under hard acceleration and axle tramp under hard braking. When properly adjusted with rubber bushings, they add 180 pounds of rear roll resistance for cornering. Poly bushings do NOT work as they will slip. Nothing should slip at all.

.Thanks I wasn't sure, I have the poly bushings and the fit was terrible .How do you get them preloaded?