PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Engine Tick

cityworks
02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
1970 Jav.360 c.i. Ticking from lt. side(drivers) Begins at start-up, and frequency doesn't change.Have replaced original rockers with rollers, then changed pushrods. Running out of ideas if changing the fuel pump doesn't work. Suggestions are appreciated.

donsjave
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
I have found over the years that engine ticks can come from everything from a an very minor exhaust leak to sticky lifters.
My cars all have various noises that I find somewhat annoying in that they make the noise for no apparent reason.
My first guess is that of a bad seal either at the exhaust manifold (where it bolts on to the head or the dognut gasket where the manifold enters into the exhaust pipe). Both noises will sound like a lifter somewhat and usually will abate after some warm up times. Not completely stopped but lessen with the noise. Solution: Put a good exhaust gasket on the manifold to head area of the engine and or replace the dognut gasket and make sure that the nuts are tight going to the exhaust manifold itself. Although some will say that the exhasut manifold gasket to head is a waste of time, I have found them to be a pretty good solution to the minor leaks that are encountered. When I rebuild the motors it has become automatic that I install these gaskets and have not encountered any problems by doing this. An argument could be made that the machining of the manifolds and heads would require that you don't need the gaskets, but after 40 years of use and the whatnot, things over time can become somewhat warp or slightly out of line. Good luck!!!!!! :)

cityworks
02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I have removed and changed the original manifolds to headers, installed new gaskets, and actually the ticking is slightly magnified. I see a tear-down in the near future.

javelinjeff
02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
sounds like a worn lifter if you made those changes,just a thought

ChevelleSSLS6
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Hmmm... bad lifter maybe? Perhaps some junk in the oil got to it. (are you using fram filters? I used to until I had a bad experience with one and 0psi oil pressure. 15 minutes of filter change, topping off, and cleanup later it had great pressure)