PDA

View Full Version : Do All '68s have dash/windshield VIN?

Peden0132
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Might anybody know if ALL '68 AMX cars came with the driver-side dash mounted (view it through the windshield) VIN tag that often was a T-shape (but looked like a small rectangular tag when viewed from outside)? I have heard that not all '68 cars had the dash VIN tag.

The car I am considering might be lacking the shock tower (passenger side) tag, but it doesn't have the dash VIN tag either. It has the correct stamping into the inner fenderwell engine bay i.e. behind the steering box - but I am afraid that this (not easily visible) is not enough for registration or resale. Lacks a door trim tag too.

Thanks.

Big Bad AMX
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
As of January 1, 1968 Federal Law required the VIN to be stamped on a plate visible thru the windshield and on the driver's side so law enforcement could read the VIN looking for stolen vehicles while also keeping an eye on the driver. For a short while some AMC cars had both--on the shock tower AND thru the windshield. But, it HAD to be on the shock tower before January 1, 1968 and at least on the dash after that date--or both for a short while. The last 6 digits also had to be in four other locations that varied as-per-Federal Law on body parts to trace stolen cars that were cut up. One of these four locations was behind the steering box and three other location on the underside sheet metal that varied to try and confuse thieves.

The car you are looking at sounds like a risky purchase, in my opinion.

Peden0132
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks. Sorry if this is in the archives, but when was the first production (external sales) AMX produced for '68? Were there any made in '67 i.e. for the '68 model year? I have read that the first AMXs may have been 68 1/2 cars i.e. not produced the previous fall like some other makes.

I ask because this car has a fairly low plaque number (which I have confirmed i.e. I know how easy it is to produce or swap these but I have other verification), so perhaps it was produced prior to Jan. 1 and thus lacks the dash VIN. Please let me know, thanks again.

donsjave
04-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks. Sorry if this is in the archives, but when was the first production (external sales) AMX produced for '68? Were there any made in '67 i.e. for the '68 model year? I have read that the first AMXs may have been 68 1/2 cars i.e. not produced the previous fall like some other makes.

I ask because this car has a fairly low plaque number (which I have confirmed i.e. I know how easy it is to produce or swap these but I have other verification), so perhaps it was produced prior to Jan. 1 and thus lacks the dash VIN. Please let me know, thanks again.
As far as I know all AMXs were release for sale starting in February of 68 which would make the 68 AMX a 68 1/2 model. So in essence since the cars were sold after Januay of 68, it had to have the vin tag on the left portion of the dash. As far as anything under the hood, I have not seen the vin tag attached to the shock towers on any 68 AMX. I have seen them on the 68 Javelins, just not on the AMXs. Some 68 Javelins were made and sold prior to January 1, 1968 since the Javelin was introduced in Sept of 67 and sold as 68 models

javelinjeff
09-29-2008, 04:08 PM
the car MAY have a 1967 build javelin dash framework as it is the same.if you can remove the dash and find that the vin plate is indeed still there then all you would need to do is cut the plastic to reveal the vin tag.the only way to tell is to remove the plastic frame of the dash that goes all the way to the windshield.someone might have pieced the car back together with some early javelin parts not realizing they covered the vin tag.if the vin is in fact missing,you should take the car to dmv for a new assigned VIN which can be done although it will be somewhat of a hassle,and you will have to make sure the car was not reported stolen sometime in the past

jeremy0711
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I had a 68 parts car amx that only had the shock tower vin only. I have kept the dash incase someone wanted it too. This car is completely original. It was not ever swapped out from the original owner. So yes there are amx's with no dash vin's.

Also it sounds in the second responce up that someone could cover the VIN with the plastic dash out of a Javelin. That wouldn't be possible. For one thing, the VIN is attached to the dash not the car. A person could get themselves in trouble by replacing or throwing away their dash and not realizing the VIN is attached to it. These cars could have been built already at that time frame or the company could have been alloted to a certain date to fix it. Or maybe that is why our favorite car company isn't around today. Can't follow rules. jeremy