PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket seats,steering wheel,shocks,etc.

fenceman
01-26-2005, 09:48 AM
My stock seats are not as comfy as i lke,thinking about swapping them out for a more comfortable set,any opinions or direct bolt ins? The stock steering wheel hits my thigh and could cause some problems in a evasive or competition situation,any one have any input on this? My shocks,springs are toast,i think.I've heard guys are running aftermarket KYB shocks,i guess new springs would have to be fabbed by a shop? Any Xperienced members opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,Mark.

69amcxtc
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
What model and year of AMC are you working on??

fenceman
01-26-2005, 05:01 PM
What model and year of AMC are you working on??Sorry,my bad.Car is a '69 AMX,4spd w/343.

69amcxtc
01-27-2005, 08:04 AM
I also noticed that my stock wheel seemed a little large in my 69 Javelin and swapped it out with a 70's style 3 spoke rally wheel (rubber grip around wheel and 3 stainless spokes) I felt it was a marked improvement for the feel of the car while driving. It looks good and at least it is a AMC wheel.
As far as changing springs and shocks. It is dependent upon what you want to do.

Big Bad AMX
01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
For '69 and prior performance shock selection is very limited. KYB's are about as good choice as I've found.

For spring sources have a look at:
http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/showthread.php?t=44

For aftermarket seats the Recaros from early '80s Mustangs fit. I don't know about the fit of more recent makes/models.

I have no suggestions for steering wheels but:

69amcxtc: I also noticed that my stock wheel seemed a little large in my 69 Javelin and swapped it out with a 70's style 3 spoke rally wheel (rubber grip around wheel and 3 stainless spokes) I felt it was a marked improvement for the feel of the car while driving. It looks good and at least it is a AMC wheel.
As far as changing springs and shocks. It is dependent upon what you want to do. Sounds like a nice choice.

fenceman
01-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Recaros.Any ideas on new or compatible armrests for the AMX? Thanks again.Mark. ;)

cudaboy
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I installed a Grant steering wheel in my AMX. One of the classic wooden wheels with the chrome centre. They look good, install easily and arent priced outa sight. They are 13 inches in Diameter I believe.

RGBJavelin
09-17-2006, 03:27 PM
A little trick that used to be more plentiful in days gone bye, for an armrest alternatve, one could use the armrests from a early '70's Matador or Ambassador, with just a minor trim to one of the mounting posts from the armrest. The fit appears stock and the lock levers are still fully functional. while your at it, get the metal lock levers from the Donor car as well, much more durable than the plastic ones. I have this setup on my 1970 Javelin, it works for me. :)