PDA

View Full Version : GO PAK or NO GO Pak..that is the question..

racappy
08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Experienced AMX'ers

I am in the process of searching for an AMX. I found an eary 343/4 spd with a "GO PAK". The car has drums all the way around(not power assist).Is this possible?? The owner, who is very nice ,insists that early 1968 GO PAKs had drums. Need your brain storming. Great forum.

Cappy
In the High Sierras Reno :D

racappy
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=racappy]Experienced AMX'ers

I am in the process of searching for an AMX. I found an eary 343/4 spd with a "GO PAK". The car has drums all the way around(not power assist).Is this possible?? The owner, who is very nice ,insists that early 1968 GO PAKs had drums. Need your brain storming. Great forum.

Cappy
In the High Sierras Reno
ALL GAVE SOME...SOME GAVE ALL

Big Bad AMX
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
To quote 1968's AMX Story (posted here if you want to read the whole thing): http://www.amx-perience.com/amx_story.htm

"There's also no mistaking the AMX whose owner has elected to travel a bit more quickly along the performance route. An over-the- top racing stripe goes with two different performance "Go" packages. The first package starts with the "343" V-8 and builds up with power disc brakes, red-line wide profile tires, higher-rate heavy-duty front and rear springs, specially calibrated heavy-duty front and rear shock absorbers, Twin-Grip differential, and heavy duty engine cooling system. The "AMX Go" package has the same equipment, but starts with the "390" V-8 as a base.

A good match mate to either "Go" package is the optional quick-ratio manual or power steering. Other performance items -some of them dealer options can be detailed by your American Motors salesman."

You could not buy an AMX with Go-Pack with front drum brakes. The only optional item that could be deleted or changed from the Go-Package were the stripes. So, you either ordered the Go-Pack or you ordered the Go-Pack stripe delete.

There was one other possibility which was to have a non-Go-Pack AMX and have the dealer install some, or all of, the Go-Pack parts. But it's not likely.

The car you're looking at may have had a posi rear-end added or stripes or ? which makes the seller think it's a Go-Pack car (or he's repeating what the guy told him when he bought it.) But either way it's not a factory Go-Pack car if it has front drum brakes.

CloudyB
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Great Info big bad.

racappy
08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the education. I thought the tale was a bit "fishy" and couldn't find any literature to support his claim. Hat off to Big Bad AMX...

The quest continues. Cappy in the High Sierra :o