PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!!!!

Sixx7shelby
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey Everyone....I'm doing a little work to my Buddy's AMX for him and was looking for a place to ask a few questions if needed. I've been a Ford guy since I was little helping my Dad...but love all Musclecars. My friends AMX is a 69 390 4speed with go pak and rally option..it is an original car with original paint/interior/etc....Very neat car, I like driving it alot but he has to sell it before he moves this spring.

Is there anyway to tell trany ratio's, rear diff ratio's are they all the same on gopak cars? Also I read somewhere that the build sheets might be in the car from the factory...is there any truth to this and if so where might it be, under the carpet?(thats where fords are)

Thanks...any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Dave

Sixx7shelby
04-04-2009, 08:52 AM
AMX is going up for sale in the next week...Anyone interested you can email me sixx7shelby@yahoo.com 1969 AMX, 390 4 speed hurst, Go pak and Rally pak, original paint/ interior/ motor ....Never hit, unmolested original survivor, grey w/black stripes, grey interior...going up on ebay after the holiday, for sale locally...Anyone looking for a well factory optioned survivor car this is it...A CAR IS ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!!!!!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/biteme2798/mustangs/amx002-1.jpg

CloudyB
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Your right. Check under the carpet for the build sheet, under the back seat. Heck they have been known to come up behind door panels and dash.lol.
Good luck finding it.

Big Bad AMX
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Standard 3.15 ratio for automatics with Go Pak, 2.87 without. 3.15 for 4-spds without Go Pak, 3.54 with. Twin Grip for all Go pak cars. BUT if the car was not ordered with Go Pak, one could get either a 3.15 or a 3.54 with a 4-spd or 2.87 or 3.15 with automatic, Twin Grip optional in either case. Group 19 options were also available.

All automatics came with the same internal gear ratios, no options available. All AMXs came with close ratio 4-spds with 2.23 1st gear. The first few hundred 1968 Javelins with 4-spds with wide ratio 2.64 1st gears and after that, the close ratio, no choice of optional internal gears.

Build sheets were not supposed to be thrown in cars on the assembly line, and after a line worker read it for interior installation, it was to be crumpled and put in the trash bin on the line. Most were, but maybe 25% were thrown under carpets. The driver's seat had a Build sheet as the seats came to the line and were installed in the car, but with sitting on the seats when the car was sold, the didn't last long. By 5 years after the car was delivered new, they dried out and disintegrated, to be vacuumed up at the car wash as fragments of paper.

To tell if Twin Grip or not--since the trunk sticker saying so soon lost its stickem and fell off the pass side inner fenderwell in the trunk, jack the car up by the bottom of the pumpkin and slowly turn one rear wheel by hand. If the opposite rear wheel goes in the same direction as the one you are turning, it is "posi". If not, it is an open diff.

On "posi" cars, you can jack up the rear under the pumpkin and slowly turn one rear wheel one full turn. Count the turns of the driveshaft. It will turn 3.15 turns if a 3.15, 3.54 or nearly 3 1/2 turns if a 3.54. Open rears will "slip" and counting turns of the driveshaft is not accurate. Pull the rear diff cover and count the gears and divide the pinion teeth into the ring gear teeth for the ratio. Yes, fluids must be drained and it isn't easy to do this but it can be done.

You may want to post an ad in the classified section for more exposure.

Sixx7shelby
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks again!!!!...very helpful info..I'll take a few good pics this weekend!!!!!