PDA

View Full Version : Numbers ???

304_dude
02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
There is a lot of information on 60's AMX's.... Is there any real numbers on AMC's after 1970.

For example someone posted that they have a (one of 7,000 made) 71 Javelin and it is rare.

Well who is to know if it is as rare as he says... was there about 14,000 71 Javelins made total? if so then there would be about 7,000 Javelin SST's also?

Well anyway... my question more or less relates to Levi Gremlins, X cars, colors, and engine options that are not just a particular car model.

Is there a registry of numbers for AMC?

donsjave
02-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately AMC did not really keep track of what was what.The only indictation would be the vin number that each vehicle has. It is broke down by year, model, console or manual or column shift, the engine letter, and then the sequential number. Another place would the data plate that is attached to the drivers side door. This would list your paint code, options dealing mainly with the trim, another sequential number that I believe is different than one that is your vin.
Bigbad may have the information as far as when the car was built and where. I believe that if he does not have it, he knows where to find it.
Note: IN 1971 there was over 28,000 Javelins built, 17,000 SST's with the balance between the AMX trim and the base model. There was just over 7100 base model Javelins built.

304_dude
02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
That is sad, I can only imagine so many newbies getting taken by thinking they have something that it is not. To many AMC cars being sold that are not original as they seem. There are some clones that are a hard knock off. Well, I was never into numbers anyway... just some things that I have had and seen don't seem be easly found any more. Like I see a lot of black interior cars. It seems to be the choice for restoration too... easier to get parts without repainting them.

There was a factory copper tone bronze Javelin I had with buckskin interior... I have yet to see another.

donsjave
02-03-2005, 04:56 PM
AMC never had more than about 4% of the market in a giving year,so yes their vehicles are becoming rare. The numbers game is just that, a numbers game. I have not really paid that close attention to the numbers, I buy what I like. I like Javelins, AMX's, and some Gremlins. Think that they are kind of cool. ( shows my age, I guess-- I grew up around the cars when they were new off the show room floor)

304_dude
02-04-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't know about today's consumer... reminds me of the late 70's through the 80's most all cars a ugly and blocky... since the SUV as the car of choice now days.

I think that 70's AMC's were a head of their time. 75 on up Matador's were too cool looking, and the Gremlin's are a lot cooler than a Pinto, plus they came with V-8 options (Pinto's did not). As for the Pacer (though it is not an SUV, which brings us to the Eagle)... I think it looks better than some of the SUV's on the market and safer to drive too. As for 70's production numbers, I think every US car manufacturer had a large drop. Did'nt Datsun, Honda corner the market with throw away cars (small and gutless gas sippers). It think there was a 3:1 ratio of Jap and VW cars in the road, meaning US cars were not the norm.

Big Bad AMX
02-04-2005, 02:14 PM
There is a lot of information on 60's AMX's.... Is there any real numbers on AMC's after 1970.

For example someone posted that they have a (one of 7,000 made) 71 Javelin and it is rare.

Well who is to know if it is as rare as he says... was there about 14,000 71 Javelins made total? if so then there would be about 7,000 Javelin SST's also?

Well anyway... my question more or less relates to Levi Gremlins, X cars, colors, and engine options that are not just a particular car model.

Is there a registry of numbers for AMC? You'll find more on the numbers issue in this thread:
http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/showthread.php?t=17

Adding the production numbers, paint codes, etc. for 71-80 AMXs is on the list for additions to the site. I just need to find the time to get that, and a whole bunch more, done.

Some of it is still out there in the hands of a few hobbyists but unfortunately a lot of the break down production information was deliberately destroyed with the Chrysler takeover, which makes it that much harder to find today.

FYI: 1971 Javelin production: 7,105
1971 Javelin SST production: 17,707
1971 Javelin AMX production: 2,054