PDA

View Full Version : Drag-On-Lady and AMX prices....

Big Bad AMX
02-23-2005, 04:06 PM
FYI: This month's Hemmings Muscle Machines has a one page article on Shirley Shahan and her SS/AMX.

They have their 2005 Price Guide in this issue as well, which is kind of interesting. They say "we're seeing prices on 1969 and 1970 AMXs ranging from $4800.00 to $20,000. $20,000 is what they list as "High" for a 390 4-speed. BUT in the auction section they cover the AMXs that sold at Barret Jackson; one for $61,560.00 and the other for $38,340.00 (both automatics) which they list as a "High" of $19,000.00 in their guide.

Maybe I'm missing something but the two AMXs they use for examples sold for 2 and 3 times what their Price Guide values the cars at. Do these guys read their own magazine?

Comments?

donsjave
02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I know what you are saying. It's apparent that it was written by two different authors. And they do not proof read the final product. It looks like that they took averges and that's the way it ended up in the magazine, but who knows for sure. Maybe we should drop a line or two to Hemmings and point out the decrepancy to them. Like they would really listen to us anyway.

Colt 50
02-25-2005, 12:05 PM
That $60,000 AMX was sold at the Barrett Jackson. People pay unrealistic prices for much lesser cars at that auction. To give Hemmings the benefit of the doubt, I think their guide is quoting real world average non-aution cars.

Javelinman
02-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I think their guide is quoting real world average non-aution cars.

Do you own a AMX? Us AMX owners like it when are cars bring $$$$$ not pennys!
I think its good to see a AMX or Javelin go for more money then the big 3.

Javelinman

donsjave
02-26-2005, 09:18 AM
You may like the higher prices, but I still think they are somewhat unrealistic in the jump they have taken in the recent past. A slow climb is better than a radical climb. Radical climb in prices means that they can have a sudden and severe decline in prices as well. And yes I do own a AMX (390 4 speed) and also a Javelin. Just a personal thought on the subject since I made some previous comments about the prices in January at an auction that I attended in December.

Big Bad AMX
02-27-2005, 11:27 PM
I agree 100% with donsjave. The late '80s showed what happens to the hobbyist when the price climbs too fast.

I don't mean to be critical of HMM, it's just a curious observation. But I have known about "high" AMXs selling in the mid to upper 20s for about 3 years now, privately - not in auctions. Just thought their guide is a bit low.

Javelinman
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Donsjave: I see what your saying!!
Sorry if I came off as if I was trying to argue..
I was at the Barret Jackson auction.. It's true that a lot off cars went for unrealistic prices! but then again the same day that the BBG AMX was auctioned, cars were going for practically nothing! A 69 RS/SS Hugger Orange Convertible sold for $27,000 :eek: and less then 20 cars later the AMX sold for over $60.000!
For me I like to see a AMX and Javelins go for more then a Chevy or Ford! It makes me feel good inside to know that I have a garage full of platinum show winning AMC's that to some people are worth more then a 69 RS/SS. :D

So as a fellow AMX and Javelin owner! Hold up your glass! and celebrate the fact that your car(s) can bring the money that the big boys do. Everyone has a view on how this will affect the muscle car prices. For me I say "thank you Barret Jackson".

Javelinman

Javelinman
02-28-2005, 11:42 AM
But I have known about "high" AMXs selling in the mid to upper 20s for about 3 years now, privately - not in auctions. Just thought their guide is a bit low.

YES! So true!