PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Phlash_riot
08-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Well Not sure where to start so i'll just start rambling for a bit.
So I'm 33 LIve in the Seattle Area. I am in the Navy aboard a Submarine been in for about 11 years now. umm yea...
My Father gave me his Fully restored AMX last week. Well when he bought it 17 years ago or so, but probably longer, it was fully restored.. it has a a bit of refreshing to do as it has sat in his garage for quite some time. only on major thing to take car of and that is the driver front fender has a nice scrape on it and the carb needs work.
Back in the 70s he had a racing team and of course it was a AMX; 1969 model. I am not sure on the particulars since his speed shop burned down to the ground and he blew up the motor in the AMX shortly there after. That along with getting married and having me arrive into his life. Ended the racing career. So about the time he hit 30 he got out of the game.. fast forward 60 years and now I am 30ish and picking up his old habit. been wanting a project car and one that i can take to car shows and cruise on the weekends and now I have it.
Not sure what my ultimate plans are for it. I am tinkering with making a replica race care like the one my Dad had ohh so many years ago but its still so close to stock i hate to break that apart, the only two things that I know for sure is that I have to get the engine running on UN-leaded fuel so i don't have to drop 106 octane fuel in there to keep down the engine knocking.
So anyways. I live up in the Seattle Area and I am shipping the car from my Dads to here next month. All I have right now it the stock carburetor. We couldn't start the car. everything was fine, except fuel. I can run the car on a mixture of barry mans/starting fluid which gets it purring assuming you keep spraying it in the intake, so the engine is running nicely. fuel is spitting out of the fuel filter at the carb. So then carb seems to be the issue. So I am going to rebuild that sned it back to my Dad's so he can mount it and be able to drive to car on the shipping trailer
So anyways thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I am sure I will be poking around here for a while and I make a build list and get parts information. feel free to drop a line or ask me stuff as well.
PS Anyone here out in Southern California in the Early 70s heard of the "I AM-X-Rated" racing team. I'll post some pics. My dad gave me a Offenhauser Magazine that they put my Dads cars pictures in back in 73 so mabye someone might know him.

Alright see ya all around,
Steve

Big Bad AMX
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Howdy Steve and welcome! Thank you for your service, what class sub? As far as subs have come in crew 'comfort' compared to WWII it's still gotta be pretty tough duty.

Interesting story, glad to hear you share your father's passion for AMXs and it's staying in the family. To avoid the risk of detonation and run pump gas safely, without additives, the compression should be in the 8.5 range. You'll likely find there's many different opinions and experiences on what others are able to run for fuel vs. compression. For instance my car is running 9.6:1 on 91 premium with octane booster and it's done fine. In the past I broke a piston in my '70 AMX running 10.0:1 and I don't want to do that again. The heads don't need the seats hardened like the Big 3 cars. AMC used a higher nickel content than other manufacturers so they're hard enough as is. Stainless steel exhaust valves are a good addition though.

And there's a couple of AMC clubs in the NW you may want to contact. See http://www.cascaderamblers.org/ and http://clubs.hemmings.com/classicamx/?club=classicamx