PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Rebuild

bluer343
02-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Hello - Need some advice on rebuilding suspensions - front and rear. Have a 69 AMX that has never had the suspension touched in last 31 years. (Yes - I have negelected it in this and many other ways). I know you can get new bushings, etc. What beyond that is recommended? I've read about the dangers of years old trunions and other parts. What exactly should I replace - details please - to be sure this is a safe driver? Any recommendations as to parts sources will also be appreciated. Thanks and glad to be a new member of the forum.

Big Bad AMX
03-17-2005, 06:07 PM
What's it need? In the rear there's springs, spring eye bushings, torque links, and shocks. I'd stay with rubber bushings. KYB shocks are your best bet for a '68 or '69.
In the front there's tie rods, lower ball joints, trunnions, sway bay end links, strut rod bushings, u/l control arm bushings and pitman arm. Kanter did have front end rebuild kits for the AMX, you'll need to call them to see what's available. Original, correct trunnion bearings are hard to find, Kanter did not have them.

Install a Gymkhana Suspension from AMX Enterprises:
http://www.amx-perience.com/amx_enterprises_online_catalog_p.htm

A couple of sources you can try are:

Rare Parts Inc.
http://www.rareparts.com/
209-948-6005 / 800-621-2005

Kanter Auto Products
http://www.kanter.com/
800-526-1096
76 Monroe St
Boonton, NJ 07005 USA

For springs try: http://www.espo.com/ or EATON Detroit Spring at http://www.eatonsprings.com/

For shocks try http://www.summitracing.com/

bluer343
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks BBAMX - I checked out the Kanter and Rare Parts sites.

Kanter does have a rebuild kit with trunions it says. You mention trunion bearings. These are replaceable? I thought I read in the TSM that the trunion had to be replace as unit? Or am I misunderstanding?

Rare Parts seemed to have everything including trunions and maybe more but not in a kit form.

Seemed to be pretty wide variance in price between the two. Any feel for one or the other quality/service wise?

I don't know that the springs front or rear need replacing...or do they? After 30 years and no maintenance I just as soon replace anything that might possibly need it. I know I'm sagging a lot more than I was in 1969.

Why specify rubber bushings? What's the difference/advantage over the polyurethane (?) ones?

Big Bad AMX
03-22-2005, 09:27 PM
The Trunnion bearing sits under the trunnion and is therefore replaceable, if you can find them.
No preference on Kanter or Rare Parts for service or quality.
You'll find the ride quality is much better with rubber bushings, the poly bushings have a tendency to transfer vibration and squeak.

bluer343
03-23-2005, 08:48 PM
BBAMX -

About the trunnion bearings. If you buy new trunnions do the bearings come with them? I see trunnion bearing kits at California Classic AMX and American Parts depot among others. Am I understanding that I need to purchase bearing kits as well?

I have an AMC parts catalog and the illustrated supplement. Can you point me to the part number for the bearing so I can get a feel for location and better understand what you are telling me. I'm a long time owner but no mechanic - yet.

Thanks!

Big Bad AMX
03-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't know that the springs front or rear need replacing...or do they? After 30 years and no maintenance I just as soon replace anything that might possibly need it. I know I'm sagging a lot more than I was in 1969.
I wouldn't say springs go bad, it's more an issue of ride height than anything else. The rear on my AMX is sagging too, I will replace them rather than re-arch them though. If it's sagging now would be the time to replace them, front and rear.

Big Bad AMX
03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
BBAMX -

About the trunnion bearings. If you buy new trunnions do the bearings come with them? I see trunnion bearing kits at California Classic AMX and American Parts depot among others. Am I understanding that I need to purchase bearing kits as well?

I have an AMC parts catalog and the illustrated supplement. Can you point me to the part number for the bearing so I can get a feel for location and better understand what you are telling me. I'm a long time owner but no mechanic - yet.

Thanks!
I doubt that the bearings will come with new trunnions, you'll need to ask the individual vendors what they offer in their kits.
Keep in mind CCA only carries NOS parts so they may differ in price and availability to replacement pieces, part numbers will probably differ too. NOS trunnion bearings are extremely scarce. I don't have the AM part number you're asking for. If you call Tony at CCA I'm sure he'll be happy to look up the number for you.

bluer343
03-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I doubt that the bearings will come with new trunnions, you'll need to ask the individual vendors what they offer in their kits.
Keep in mind CCA only carries NOS parts so they may differ in price and availability to replacement pieces, part numbers will probably differ too. NOS trunnion bearings are extremely scarce. I don't have the AM part number you're asking for. If you call Tony at CCA I'm sure he'll be happy to look up the number for you.

Sorry this is turning into 20 questions, but it is very helpful exchange. You mention NOS replacement trunnion bearings above and and in one of your earlier responses you also referred to "original correct trunnion bearings". Are there replacement correct bearings available that can be safely used in lieu of NOS/correct ones? I've seen a couple of sites that offer trunnion bearing kits but don't indicate NOS or replacement one way or the other. Thanks again for your help and patience!

Big Bad AMX
03-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Sorry this is turning into 20 questions, but it is very helpful exchange. You mention NOS replacement trunnion bearings above and and in one of your earlier responses you also referred to "original correct trunnion bearings". Are there replacement correct bearings available that can be safely used in lieu of NOS/correct ones? I've seen a couple of sites that offer trunnion bearing kits but don't indicate NOS or replacement one way or the other. Thanks again for your help and patience!
Ask away, that's what we're here for. :)

There are replacement bearings available. You'll get different answers as to how good they are - or aren't. The trunnion bearings support a lot of weight up front and are a specialized bearing. There are replacement bearings that will fit but how well they hold up under the stresses and pressures of the application is questionable. Personally, I would not put them on my car. I would try to find NOS ones.

Mr. Ellas
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I am debating to install edelbrock shocks into my 69 AMX.

I heard alot of good about KYB.

Has anyone heard or had experience with the new edelbrock?

Big Bad AMX
05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Can't help with that one. I have no experience at all with Edelbrock shocks. Hopefully someone whose used them will comment. It'd be nice to see how they compare to the KYB's. It's always nice to have a choice.

nate
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry for the late chime in here.
I have a set that is being installed as I type. I'll get back to you when I have a chance to drive them around a bit. Chances are my review will be stellar since the 30 year old shocks in there couldn't have been worse.

sstlover666
03-02-2006, 08:21 PM
im planing on airbags, even if modification is required. sure they are not typical and some straight amc guys might not agree with this decision, but i want modern performance out of my classic car

RGBJavelin
04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Can you do an airbag setup on the AMC frontend? especially The pre -'70?
As to new car handling, the AMC front end is almost like a Macpherson strut setup, isn't it? My '77 HornetAMX had Urethane bushings, KYB's, and custom springs. It stuck to the road like glue :cool: .
My '70 Javelin just got new OEM style bushings, and that made a big difference. I still need shocks and was going to go KYB again. Price appears to be hard to beat unless those Edelbrock shocks are really that much better than the KYB's :confused:

bigbad68
04-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Good question, will an airbag fit with a trunnion suspension?