PDA

View Full Version : TRW Forged True pistons for 401

Bobby
01-22-2015, 10:48 PM
I was building a 401 race engine years ago. I decided to phone the Engineers at TRW to get a recommendation on their pistons. I was told if I wanted a increase in compression to use their forged true 390 pistons in the 401. Same size bore but the pin is located in a different place.
It worked for me. That engine is very strong and the pistons are still there.

AMX3
01-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Hey Bobby,

Do you have a link to there website? I would be interested in checking them out. Do you have an idea what it increased the compression to?

Jason

Bobby
01-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Jason. Try typing TRW Automotive. I called them many years ago. I can look on line again for you. I am sure they would still be in business.I have no idea what the compression ratio is. If you go that route, check the valve to piston clearance to be sure they will not strike each other. I did use race gas.

Bobby
01-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Jason I could not find the TRW web site. I did see a site for another brand of pistons. They wrote that TRW pistons have been discontinued. So I am guessing that TRW is no longer in business.

You could email or call another piston maker and see what they suggest. Hope this helps.

AMX3
01-28-2015, 11:52 PM
By the time I am ready to rebuild the engine, I am sure the next company will not be around. I tend to research things to death. The good news is that it give me lots of time to day dream.

Jason

Bobby
01-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes sir, good luck.