PDA

View Full Version : Starting to look for an AMX

major
01-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Hello!
I've wanted an AMX for 30 years,seriously starting to look now. My first car was a 1980 Spirit I factory ordered. It was a GT model with DL trim. I had specifically ordered it with a a 4 cylinder engine and 4 speed transmission because I was worried about the price of gas at 25 cents a litre (about a buck a gallon). I had also ordered it with the Turbocast wheels, power steering and the interior package which included the center arm rest and console. I had a lot of fun with that car, it was built like a tank. First modifications included a rear sway bar and stiffer springs all around; V8 spec with oversize wire in the front and re-arched 5 leaf springs in the back and super stiff Monroe shocks all around. The ride was rough, but did it handle! At the time GM had introduced the Super Duty engine program for the Fiero, I had the 2.5 Iron Duke in my car and hoped to build an engine. I got as far as putting an exhaust header on the motor. My exhaust system existed of the header, a Thrush muffler and an 18" tail piece. I should have re-jetted the carb. The car would backfire and shoot a flame 10 feet. Alas I eventually got a ticket and had to put a proper exhaust system on the car. Should have done it to begin with, as it now had back pressure. I really miss that car. I am now ready for my AMX. I'm looking for a 1969 390 go pack car (of course) with a 4 speed. Looking for one fully restored.

I look forward to getting involved with this forum.

P

AMX3
01-31-2015, 10:44 PM
First let me say welcome to our community.

After reading thought your post, I could not help but think that now a days, people would film the backfire and it would end up on Youtube. Hopefully you are planning on going in a different if you are looking for a fully restored one. They are out there, just depends on how much you are willing to spend, especially for fully restored cars.

Jason

major
01-31-2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Jason. I notice your profile shows you located in Edmonton, I live near Vancouver. Prices are all over the place, but comparatively speaking, still pretty reasonable compared to the Fords, Mopars and Chevy's of the era. I have resigned myself to the fact that I won't be buying "local". I have located a couple of cars in the US that I'm interested in. I will have lots of questions when the day arrives and I bring one home.

Wdm

AMX3
02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
There are only a handful of AMX's local, and I doubt anyone will sell. I tend to look in the larger markets myself, although I am just looking. It is nice to see what is out there and what catches my eye. I have also found prices cheaper in the US, although with the way our dollar is currently, I would hold off for a bit and see if it recovers. Might have to hold off a while though as I do not think it will be soon. Would you have it shipped back? I have thought of driving it back, but has caused problem for me in the past.

Jason

major
02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Hi Jason,

I'm not so concerned about exchange rates, when the right car comes along I may have to jump on it. I think a fully restored car is the way I'm heading. It would be nice to find a decent car in restorable condition, but the expense and headache of the restoration and finding parts would certainly be more than the value of the car when it is finished. Certainly there would be a lot of satisfaction in building a car, but I don't have a garage or shop that could accommodate such a process nor the skill or patience to undertake it. Besides I want to drive it now! Dependant on where it located,I will likely have it shipped.