PDA

View Full Version : Gen1 AMX Body Rigidity

major
02-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I realize that uni-body cars are engineered to be structurally strong and rigid, but I would assume that over time the body might become a bit 'loose'. During the restoration process are there any areas that should be inspected or considered? Can/ should any additional welding be done to enhance or correct the original factory welds? Even if not necessary, is there an advantage to adding any additional material to enhance or improve the factory structure? Any areas that are prone to weakness?

Big Bad AMX
02-09-2015, 08:22 PM
They're strong major, I have not heard of any issues cropping up over time. No enhancements are needed, the only exception might be in the case of serious rust issues in which case it would be best to find another car.

AMX3
02-16-2015, 09:03 PM
While not really an issue that cropped up over time, I have had issues on both my cars where the columns meet the roof just above the windshield. It almost seems like the wields were not strond enough. The next time I have to paint the car, I plan to reenforce the area. Either way it can not hurt.

woodsman1953
09-03-2015, 06:52 PM
What about sub frame connectors to tie everything together ? woodsman1953