PDA

View Full Version : Not a user friendly site!

RadioMan
10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
I don't know about you guys but using this site over the old AMCWORLD etc.
site is like night and day.

Very hard to figure out where to go to look at what. :cool:

Simple is NOT a word I'd want to use here.

RadioMan
10-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I also noticed there are very few posts being put on this site to read.
The old site had many new ones every day. I always looked forward to
bringing up the site every morning to view them.

Now any new ones (if any) are scattered all over the place. Thats what it
seems to look like anyway.

It sure looks like no new posts because of the way you have to put them
in. And why a user name and password? This isn't Fort Knox! I don't see
anything about money being exchanged or things to buy for the need of
user names and passowrds.

Maybe this is the cost of progress. Hell I don't know. :confused:

Big Bad AMX
10-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi RadioMan,
True, this isn't Fort Knox. The user name and password are required for a number of reasons. It allows you much more control over your messages and your ads than the other site. If you have registered, you will be able to edit and delete your messages as you need to. The user could not do that before - I had to for them as my time allowed.

In the classifieds you will be able to edit, delete, upload pictures, relist, tag it sold and so on. This was not possible before. Registering puts you in control of your ads.

And then there's spambots. Spambots basically follow links and grab email addresses from "mailto" links, storing them as they go along then sending the addresses back to the spammers. You have to hide your email address or you will be swamped with spam. Spambots are written for the sole purpose of grabbing email messages on the web. This was a problem before. Register and your email address will not be left open to spam, as you can choose to hide your email address, and messages sent to you via email do not reveal your address to the sender in any case. I will NOT sell, trade, or giveaway email addresses or other information provided.

There are other benefits to registering, some are immediately evident, some are not.

As for forum categories. Some users like them, and some don't. I've seen forums with over 30 main categories. Here there are seven. Basically they're laid out like AMC show categories. 1969 and prior, 70 to 88, AMX and Javelin, racing. Plus club events, tech-tips and non-AMC Automotive. Why these? Well, I had to start somewhere. Websites are dynamic, forever evolving. As for people posting messages? If they want to post, that's great. If not, that's fine too.

Kind regards,
Admin

dpc502
10-23-2004, 08:47 PM
HI,
To each their own. Myself, a computer "0" who has to hunt & peck instead of typing , found this site much more user friendly than the old site. I actually managed to post a message for the first time .[no help from wife or kids; honest] Thanks a lot ,I appriciate your effort. Now if I can learn to type it wont take 45 min. to send a message. Again , thanks & good luck with the classifieds.[I thought I was messing up at first]
dpc502

RadioMan
10-24-2004, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the return reply Admin.
I stand corrected. ;)

174BLWNAMX
10-29-2004, 09:34 PM
How many people like the old site? I miss it,but maybe progress rubs me the wrong way.

Big Bad AMX
10-30-2004, 09:55 PM
If you liked the old ad listing layout try this: From the Classifieds homepage you will find that you may view ads that have been posted either the "last day" the "last 7 days", "last 14 days", or "all ads". Viewing them like this lists the Ad description, the number of Views, Condition, Price, and Posted Date. It includes thumbnail pictures and partial descriptions. ALL this in a 'quick view' format.

If you want to you can also choose to view the ads by Most Recent, Most Views, Most Popular, Random, Least Popular or Product Title.

AND you can select to view 12, 16, 20 or 24 ads per page. Give it a try!

donsjave
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Since I am new to the game of replies on the net, I did not really pay a whole of attention to the old site. But with a few glitches on my first attempt to make a reply to whatever, I managed to get it done. I am a AMC diehard since I kind of was raised in that part of the country where AMC cars and trucks were somewhat there. More so than in the rest of country. I do like this site, it lets you make comments and the such without too many people chiming in (not so if you are wrong) It is a friendly spot to go to after work or on the weekends.

starwalker
08-11-2005, 01:45 AM
I read the posts. I think it's a really, really nice site. But I must say it's taking me a little bit to really look at it.

Now, if you put my husband on here...forget it. He wouldn't figure it out. I'm still working on the "Copy and Paste" and the function of "Right Click" with him. I know of quite a few others that would have a hard time. But that doesn't mean they can't figure it out eventually.

ChevelleSSLS6
08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
theres a lot of forums (subjects) for the number of posts made and users, other than that I think its a great site, we just need more people! :D

I go to www.hotrodders.com a lot and like their layout, it takes about 3 days to a week for most posts to move onto page 2 and such, but its at the point where their "engine" forum should be split into 2 sections, diagnostic/repair/howto and performance

but the admin doesnt think its ready for a change so thats that.

starwalker
08-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I have sent a lot of my AMC friends your site. I especially love the Photo Gallery! A great way to show my cars instead of posting pics in more threads. I can just refer them to the url for my Galleries. :)

starwalker
08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I tried to view the members list but it's disabled. How many are registered so far?

Big Bad AMX
08-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Though I started this site in '97 the forum and classifieds sections were added just 10 months ago, the gallery was added less than a month ago. As they grow they will need to be updated. I'm open to suggestions for adding/deleting/moving categories and other ideas for easier navigation. But please keep in mind this website has always been an extension of a hobby for me so updates throughout the site are done on a "as time allows basis".

The membership forum stats are listed at the bottom of the Forum Homepage under the "What's Going On?" heading. These stats are viewable to all visitors.

Currently there are: Threads: 304, Posts: 960, Members: 692

Members can contact each other through Private Messages - which can be found under the User CP link.