PDA

View Full Version : Fuel costs and options?

Big Bad AMX
03-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Since it looks like another summer of record gas prices and little relief in sight I'm curious to what your thoughts are on possible solutions.

Have you changed your daily driving habits? Will you still go on a driving vacation this summer as previously?

What's the best alternative? Hybrids, Hydrogen, Methanol, Domestic drilling? Is an increase in production enough? Or?......

And next winter it'll likely be heating expenses again. How about heating oil? Should dollar for dollar tax credits be given for homes that opt for solar hot water heat? What other options are there?

There's no right or wrong answers, just wondering what ideas you may have on any or all of these questions.

donsjave
03-25-2005, 11:01 AM
It would appear that us consumers are caught between a rock and a hard spot. The oil companies kind of own anything related to fuel and it's alternatives and we are going to pay a high price no matter what we do. The companies own the methonal and the ethonol additives and they own the so call hybrids (yea my spelling isn't good) technology. It is my belief that it isn't going to do much good to try and change driving habits. Many people have already changed their habits and the reward for doing so is nothing more than record high prices at the pumps. President Bush had the right ideas as far as drilling in Alaska, but was somewhat thwarted by a bunch of enviromentalists who bemoan the fact over and over again that we may damage the local area there and the so forth.
Sometimes I feel that for every ten of thousands of people who want it, there is 20 people who do not want it and they have the money to litagate something to death.
The era of cheap oil is over and us as consumers are going have to come up with something that is more economical for the long run. What? I do not know at this time, but someone who is smarter in the engineering department will eventually come up with something I guess. Perhaps someday they will deveople an engine that can run on seawater.

Big Bad AMX
03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
I left out Public Transportation, though it has limited availability in many areas is there an increase in its use in your area (if you have it)?

Like you said we're stuck in the middle. Changes will be needed in the long run, but what? I think the hybrids are the easiest transition with hydrogen being a long range goal. I don't think electric cars are the answer. In the meantime it's nice to know even a 401 can get 20+ mpg. And many AMC models were economy kings.

What about solar for homes? Admittedly I don't know much about it but hot water heat in itself has advantages. With full length baseboards it's quiet and cold spots are eliminated. Seems to me if new homes were built with more solar incorporated in them it would certainly be of benefit to relieving heating oil demands/costs.

What are your thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

amcfreek
03-27-2005, 11:31 PM
IMPEACH BUSH!

bumper sticker needed:

help support our troops impeach whats his name..
ok so i struck a nerve .. yeah we all like the old usa but the point is the thing at the commanders seat isnt doing his job .. we are getting taxed .opek is scfewing us like a makita 9.6 drill on a fresh recharge with plenty of spare batts..

sorry to bring up a political thread in my first post but its my required two cents . atleast thats all i have left after trying to top off my tank ..

is president bush gonna go down in history as the the president that promoted health care .clinton supported health care . as bush supports health care cost cuts .. but like attempting to blackmail us common folks into walking to get more excerscise?

wtf
nerve struck
btw i am the amcfreek two ee's in freek .. wanna ban me now? thats fine i can hack ....and i hate teh stoopid mouse right click script.. wanna see the jpgs?

oh yeah and that user agreement how we suposed to have anny fun on here?

JOKE! HOPE YOU CALM DOWN SOON MODS .. I WILL SHARE MY SOMA WITH THE FIRST 3 MODS...
laterz
amcfreek
chill my rants wont look so bad after the first 3 beers and a spell chexxor

donsjave
03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Whatever you say man
IMPEACH BUSH!

bumper sticker needed:

help support our troops impeach whats his name..
ok so i struck a nerve .. yeah we all like the old usa but the point is the thing at the commanders seat isnt doing his job .. we are getting taxed .opek is scfewing us like a makita 9.6 drill on a fresh recharge with plenty of spare batts..

sorry to bring up a political thread in my first post but its my required two cents . atleast thats all i have left after trying to top off my tank ..

is president bush gonna go down in history as the the president that promoted health care .clinton supported health care . as bush supports health care cost cuts .. but like attempting to blackmail us common folks into walking to get more excerscise?

wtf
nerve struck
btw i am the amcfreek two ee's in freek .. wanna ban me now? thats fine i can hack ....and i hate teh stoopid mouse right click script.. wanna see the jpgs?

oh yeah and that user agreement how we suposed to have anny fun on here?

JOKE! HOPE YOU CALM DOWN SOON MODS .. I WILL SHARE MY SOMA WITH THE FIRST 3 MODS...
laterz
amcfreek
chill my rants wont look so bad after the first 3 beers and a spell chexxor

dpc502
03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
We can blame politicans all we wont , however let us not forget how they came to power. [ Those of us who voted & those of us who didn't.] Personally, I heated my whole house with wood this winter so I could waste all that fossil fuel on my AMX passion this summer. Also saved money on personal trainer. [You dont need one to split wood.]

P.S. Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't spell.

Kem
04-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, if oil is in such short supply why did BP post an 8 billion dollar profit and Shell a 24 billon dollar profit? If drilling for oil in Alaska is going to help, why didn't the original Alaska pipeline spell the end of Arab oil? Why is the Alaska pipeline oil going to Japan instead of the USA? Why is it that in this day and age the fuel mileage of vehicals is just a little better then it was 20 years ago? Is it believed that with GM, Ford, Chrysler and all the other manufacturers with thousands of engineers working every day that not one of them can get a "real" car to get 60 miles a gallon? Is it really the oil companies with their greed, or is it the government, that would really suffer if so much gas and diesel was not sold, since the taxes lost would be a fortune if vehicals would start getting good mileage?{Taxes to help pay for moron George's bullsh*t wars!} Why were 100's of oil wells drilled in eastern Ohio, struck oil, and then capped off? Why was Tom Ogle's fuel system, which was demonstated to a bunch of reporters as it got about 100 miles a gallon,{in a full size Ford with a 351 engine} put on the shelf after the company{or front company} said that it was not workable, after Tom Ogle, who lived a clean life, suddenly died of a drug overdose? ...........None of the alternative fuels will ever get marketed until the rich, the politicians, and other corporate slime can figure a way to funnel the profits into their overfull pockets at the expense of the public! But then, look what a poor excuse is currently in the White House, and see how it all falls together. God Help Us.....

Kem
04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have any info on the use of diesel fuel in a gasoline engine? From what little I found on this, the guy that did it, did it with glow plugs in a homemade carb that was installed on a 75 Olds Toronado, 455 engine that got 75 miles per gallon.....any info would be helpful...thanks for the space BB AMX!!!!!!!!!

Big Bad AMX
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, if oil is in such short supply why did BP post an 8 billion dollar profit and Shell a 24 billon dollar profit? If drilling for oil in Alaska is going to help, why didn't the original Alaska pipeline spell the end of Arab oil? Why is the Alaska pipeline oil going to Japan instead of the USA? Why is it that in this day and age the fuel mileage of vehicals is just a little better then it was 20 years ago? Is it believed that with GM, Ford, Chrysler and all the other manufacturers with thousands of engineers working every day that not one of them can get a "real" car to get 60 miles a gallon? Is it really the oil companies with their greed, or is it the government, that would really suffer if so much gas and diesel was not sold, since the taxes lost would be a fortune if vehicals would start getting good mileage?{Taxes to help pay for moron George's bullsh*t wars!} Why were 100's of oil wells drilled in eastern Ohio, struck oil, and then capped off? Why was Tom Ogle's fuel system, which was demonstated to a bunch of reporters as it got about 100 miles a gallon,{in a full size Ford with a 351 engine} put on the shelf after the company{or front company} said that it was not workable, after Tom Ogle, who lived a clean life, suddenly died of a drug overdose? ...........None of the alternative fuels will ever get marketed until the rich, the politicians, and other corporate slime can figure a way to funnel the profits into their overfull pockets at the expense of the public! But then, look what a poor excuse is currently in the White House, and see how it all falls together. God Help Us.....

I remember after the last big 'oil shortage' in '79 the so-called experts were telling us that at that current rate of usage we would be out of fuel by the year 2000. As in used up, no more. Hmmmm........so much for the experts.

Another thing that is a bunch of political B.S. is the number of different blends of gasoline that are being refined to meet different state environmental requirements. Something like 38 different blends for different states and one state can't use the other's blend? Here's an idea - how 'bout just one blend?

I can see the prices are being pushed up and regardless of supplies they won't be falling to any real degree. If we're willing to spend 2.30+ a gallon why would they charge 1.19? All us peasants are being played like a cheap fiddle.

Big Bad AMX
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Does anyone have any info on the use of diesel fuel in a gasoline engine? From what little I found on this, the guy that did it, did it with glow plugs in a homemade carb that was installed on a 75 Olds Toronado, 455 engine that got 75 miles per gallon.....any info would be helpful...thanks for the space BB AMX!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard of that one. I've heard of Model T's running on kerosene though. Back in the Depression kerosene was cheaper so some folks mixed it with gasoline to get by. Apparently it worked pretty well.

donsjave
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I can remember back in the 70's (yea, I'm showing my age) when the doomsayers were lamenting the fact of how wasteful us "poor" people were. These doomsayers were driving Cads and Lincolns then. What a bunch of you know whats? I'm sick and tire of listening to a bunch of enviromentalists going around telling me how messy my house is when their own envirs ain't any better than mine. As far as Bush is concern, he did try the Alaska route, it's part of the record in Congress, and kind of failed in the attempt. At least he did try which is better than Clinton did (he was too busy in the oval office having some fun with Moncia).
As far as having 37 different blends within the United States, I guess that speaks for itself. With California being the worse, you have so call enviromentalists running the state governments (with a few in National office) and this is what happens when they run amok.
Are the oil companies making a killing on us consumers? You bet!!!! If we are stupid enough to have 37 different blends of fuel in one country, then nail it to us for doing so by passing stupid laws demanding the oil companies comply with state regulations.
Enough of the political horse pucky, hopefully people are going to realize what a mess this all is and increase the refineries that are here. 20 years ago there was over 300 refineries running and today there is only about 150 running. Increase demand for fuel and cutting refining capacity is a recipe for diaster. Again this can be tied directly to the enviromentalist who wanted to close refineries for the sake of us idiots who do not know any better. Bullhocky.

Big Bad AMX
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Well, here you go...............this sounds kinda like:

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said Jed move away from there
Said Californy is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.
Swimmin pools, movie stars.

The Beverly Hillbillies!
-------------------------
Wildcatter Strikes 1 Billion Barrel Oil Field in Central Utah

By Paul Foy The Associated Press
Published: May 4, 2005

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A tiny oil company has snapped up leasing rights to a half-million acres in central Utah that it says could yield a billion barrels or more of oil.

Geologists are calling it a spectacular find - the largest onshore discovery in at least 30 years, located in a region of complex geology long abandoned for exploration by major oil companies. It's turning out to contain high-quality oil already commanding a premium at refineries.

With the secret out, industry players expect a bidding war to break out at the next Utah leasing auction, set for May 17 in Salt Lake City.

At today's prices the oil reserve could bring Utah $5.6 billion in royalties, state auditors conservatively estimate. Although the discovery is still playing out, the oil will take years to recover and some skeptics question the company's projections for a region yet to be fully surveyed.

"It's just very highly unlikely because the U.S. onshore has been picked clean, if you will," said Fadel Gheit, senior oil analyst at Oppenheimer & Co. in New York.

"That's like finding a wallet in the subway after all the cleaners went through it. It's possible, but very highly unlikely," he said.

Gov. Jon Huntsman said he was aware of the discovery "and we are tracking the progress with great interest. If the prospects prove to be true, it will be important that the resources are developed responsibly."

The discovery is playing out just outside Sigurd, Utah, more than 100 miles from any of Utah's other major oil fields and 45 miles from the nearest operating well.

The find, 130 miles south of Salt Lake City, was made by Wolverine Gas & Oil Corp., a privately held company with just 25 employees improbably located in Grand Rapids, Mich.

Wolverine's test well hit "pay" in late 2003, and by May 2004 it started producing from a single deposit estimated to contain 100 million to 200 million barrels of oil.

Wolverine and government geologists said the company is examining 25 deposits in all that could contain 1 billion barrels of oil.

Those underground deposits are widely scattered over a crescent-shaped belt 100 miles long and up to 50 miles wide that contains all the geologic "right stuff" for oil pockets in folds of Jurassic Navajo sandstone, said Tom Chidsey, petroleum section chief for the Utah Geological Survey.

If Wolverine could produce 1 billion barrels at once, it could satisfy the nation's demand for about 45 days - less than the reserve that Congress may open at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, which by equally speculative estimates may contain 10 billion barrels of oil.

Chidsey said Wolverine's discovery could dwarf Utah's last major find, the still-producing Pineview field overlapping the Wyoming border. That field, tapped in 1975, has produced 31 million barrels and may contain another 100 million barrels, he said.

Oil companies began exploring central Utah more than 50 years ago without success, even though it's part of an oil-producing belt thrust ranging from Mexico to Alaska. The complex geology of central Utah produced only dry wells - 58 of them in the past 25 years.

In 1999, Wolverine bought Chevron's leasing rights and seismic data and started poking around itself, bouncing seismic waves more than 5,000 feet deep. With just two wells operating at full capacity now, Wolverine is pumping 1,500 barrels of oil a day from the ground and trucking it to Salt Lake refineries.

"The secret's out and we will face competition" at the next BLM auction, said Doug Strickland, a geologist for Wolverine. "We had a year and three months to ourselves."

The BLM will auction 300,000 acres throughout Utah. Acres that Wolverine once picked up for $10 are now being valued at $1,200 in central Utah. Leasing rights are good for five years and as long as a well is producing.

Oil companies pay 12.5 percent of the value of oil taken from federal lands - and half of that comes back to Utah, which shares some of it with local governments, said Steve Schneider, audit manager for the Utah Division of Oil, Gas & Mining.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBK3522C8E.html