PDA

View Full Version : New AMX Owner, Need Header Info

Toms68AMX
03-26-2005, 07:52 AM
I just bought a 68 AMX and was thinking about putting headers on it. It has the original motor with rectangular ports. The only headers Hedman makes are for dog leg ports only. Hooker has a set of their Competition line that their literature says fits 68-74 AMX's but no mention of weather they fit either style head. The picture on the Summit Racing website shows it to have rectangular ports. Will these also fit dog-legs if I decide to upgrade down the road or can rec port headers be modded to fit?
Also,is there any known hood interference on a AMX with the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake?
Thanks in advance.

304_dude
03-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi, The rectanguler port headers made for 68 - up should be fine. I like them since they are less expensive and have the same results.

As for clearance with high rise intakes. Depends primaraly on air cleaner you are using. I was able to use a after market air cleaner assembly with a Holley 650 and a Offy 360 (non dual port) with a 1 inch spacer (this is about 1/2" higher than a Torqer intake). I did have a factory air induction hood that gave more clearance, but would not allow for the stock air cleaner with the setup.

By keeping the rectangular port heads your limiting your performance. Some here say if possible use the dog leg heads if possible.

I think Edelbrock carbs have a lower profile than the Holley... I don't use Edelbrock carbs, I bet someone here can confirm.

Also I like spread bore setups... They give great low-end torque or tremendous breathing at full throttle depending on how you set them up. I usually choose out of the box configs with 290, 304 and 343 engines. For the 290 and 304 I add a strand of wire from 18 gauge wire looped through the shooters a quick racers trick to alleviate boggs on hitting full thottle dumps.

Beleive it or not my 304 was kicking a few 350 butts with this simple setup. I did not dyno but it was like dropping in a 360.