PDA

View Full Version : Miles per gallon increased?

Kem
03-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Is anyone familar with the advantages of adding acetone to gasoline to increase fuel mileage? I recently ran into this, but am not sure about the results, that are stated to be from 15% to 35% improvement in fuel mileage. There is a yahoo group that has just started dedicated to acetone in fuel, but being a new group, there is not alot of info available. The amount of acetone they recommend is about 3 oz.'s per 10 gallons of gas. Some of the posters there swear by this. There is one guy that reports that his 4.0 Jeep has went from 12 to 14 MPG just by adding the acetone. With the cheap "dishwater gas" so called gasoline going for $2.19 a gallon around here, this may be a great thing. .........Any input would be appreciated. Check out the yahoo group for more info............. Thanks alot!

Big Bad AMX
03-29-2005, 08:34 PM
I've never heard of it before your post. From the group it appears it's not a new concept though. Years ago it was said that dropping mothballs into the gas tank would increase octane. I never heard if that really worked.
Acetone is an interesting concept. It'll be something to keep an eye on their findings. Anything to help would be nice, so long as theres no negatives.

This is the link I followed:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/

Kem
04-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes Big Bad, I heard of the moth ball claim too. I purchased a Z-28 from a guy I worked with years ago, and he SWORE by the moth ball addition to the Z-28's fuel tank. He said the when the balls were added to the Z-28 it performed much better. He also had a Honda 750, and to quote him, "would just scream" with a moth ball added to the tank. I was always afraid to try it, since I was afraid that the moth ball might decide to re-harden in the carb.

Thikstik
04-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Glad to get on this board. Did you ever find a zip tube for the Concord? Some guys on the Buick GN board claim like a 22% reduction in mpg due to the EPA's mandated Summer blends of camel pee gas. I would like to hear of a true 25 hiway mpg on a Concord because I want one. Do yu have a LU TC?
I really think the zip tube will quash your detonation, and detonation kills mpg.
CYA

ChevelleSSLS6
07-22-2005, 09:22 PM
my 2000 Pontiac GrandAm with the 3400v6 (3.4L, 204ci) usually gets 21-24mpg.

A couple days ago I did the math for my first tank of "acetone added gas" and I had 31mpg. This was with more highway driving than usual, and the AC was on more than usual...

but, last time I had a "mostly highway" tank of fuel I got 28mpg.

I use 1tablespoon/10 gallons. :)

thinksnow
08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Dunno if you believe them, but Mythbusters says no to acetone:

Finding: BUSTED

Explanation: The Internet is crawling with preposterous products and tips to transform your car into a police radar-beating, gas-sipping, mechanic-evading speed machine. On the chance that some of them might actually work, MythBusters Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman tested three online ideas for magically amplifying an automobile's gas mileage.

After establishing baseline gas mileages for two types of cars — one made in the 1970s and one from the mid-1990s — the MythBusters set the following three fuel finaglers in motion:

1) Magnets: Nestled as close to the carburetor as possible, magnets supposedly realign molecules in the gasoline to burn more efficiently.
2) Acetone: Mixing in the liquid chemical with gasoline at a 500:1 ratio allegedly slows the rate of gasoline combustion.
3) Miracle carburetor: Replacing an older car's standard carburetor with this puppy could give you a 300 miles-per-gallon gas mileage.

Not surprisingly, the MythBusters' trials busted each of the three products. The miracle carburetor actually finished last among the trio, severely diminishing the gas mileage of the 1970s-era car rather than amplifying it. Likewise, the magnets didn't make waves with the fuel particles, and it turns out that adding acetone slightly hurts gas mileage.