PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell an M11 tranny from a 727?

Boatswain9
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
:confused: I thought I had an m11 tranny in my 69 343 Amx. A transmission shop mechanic just said I had a 727 tranny. When I purchased the car 3 years ago. I was not informed it was a 727. Also the mechanic that installed the 390 engine did not mention it either.
Thank you.

donsjave
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
This is quite simple to do. Look on the passenger side of the tranny. On the gear housing, there should be a data plate listing the maker of the tranny. Borg-Warner made all of the m series trannys for AMC. Secondly, the M-11 is considerably heavier than the torque-flite. Thirdly, look on the side of the M-11 tranny and it should be stamped M-11, M12, etc. Borg-Warner stamped the trannies in this fashion. It is stamped on either side of the tranny.

304_dude
03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi, the quickest way to identify a torq-flight is just open the hood and look at what is connected to the carb. All AMC's with the torq-flight tranny have a linkage mounted from the throttle arm back behind the head and down to the kick down lever of the tranny. M series and TH400's use an electric switch to perform kick down (mounted near the gas pedal). This method is easier than jacking the car and getting on the ground.