PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

Boatswain9
04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know what the numbers 25290 mean on the shifter side of a 69 automatic Amx transmission? I can't read anything else on the plate that the numbers are on.The engine was a 343. Is a 727 tranny compatable and would it fit a 343?

I found some receipts stating that the transmission was worked on in the late 1970's. No idea what was done. Tried to call the shop that did the work but they are no longer around. Help! Before I take it to another shop for another
paid opinion. There is no kick down rod installed on this tranny. :confused:

Thank you very much

donsjave
04-13-2005, 07:34 PM
I will try and help here. First you have a Borg Warner M11 3 speed automatic. These trannys are okay for the 343 V-8 however the M-11 would get eaten alive by the 390 V-8. I do not specifically know what the numbers mean, but I do know what various engines had in specific years. AMC used the Borg-Warner tranny until it was replaced by the Torque-Flite tranny in 72. So, no your 69 engine will not bolt up to a torque flite for the main reason that the crank in a 69 is different from that of the 72. Where it is different is the back of the crank is drilled different that the 72 cranks (this was drilled different to accept the torque-flite tranny). If you were to swap out cranks for a 72 or newer then you could fit a torque-flite on to it.
Borg Warner automatics used a electric kickdown switch located on the accelator pedal itself and the plugs into the transmission on the passenger side of the car. This is why there was no linkage or rods used to put the car into passing gear. I found that the electric kickdown was overall a good idea except when I kept blowing fuses. The fuse is on the same circuit as the heater motor is and normally it was the wiring going to the heater motor or the relay that was the problem.
Hopes that this helps you a little.

stunner67
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a 1972 727 trans in my 69 Javelin. I am thinking of going with a manual trans. If you are looking for a 727, I could sell it to you. I live in Mesa, AZ. So if you are close and interested, let me know