PDA

View Full Version : Firewall & inner fender color???

Vegas dude
06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
:confused: I need a definitive answer: What color should the lower firewall (below the wiper motor) and inner fenders be on a '68 or '69 AMX? Body color or some variation of semi-gloss black? I am seeing pictures both ways, so what is factory correct?

Also, what about the radiator support and the two "support braces" from the inner fender forward to the radiator support?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

304_dude
06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi, I can give some information while your waiting for your answer. Shadow mask cars had the shadow mask paint inside engine compartment. All other cars are painted with the body color in the engine compartment.

Note: I am not sure but, I think all shadow mask cars are painted body color first, and then the engine compartment is painted the shadow mask color.

As for standard components... Semi gloss black is simular, but not factory exact. I cannot say off hand the correct paint color or code.

I would sugest a good paint supplier would match and setup a spray can for you.

As an example: I had to repaint a 60's Buick glove box once. They looked up the code... and I was told the paint was no longer being made (it had real swede particals in it) and used a replacement paint from their code book. It matched color and proper finish, but the feel did not have the texture as before.

Big Bad AMX
06-29-2005, 09:59 PM
As 304_dude stated; The engine compartment should be body color. The radiator support should also be body color. Eastwood has a chasis black that is an excellent choice for the support braces.

Vegas dude
06-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys.

One of the cars I was considering had had a color change, but the engine compartment was a flatted black. The exterior paint code certainly was not black, so it looks like they went to just as much trouble painting the compartment black as it would have taken to do it in the body color.

304_dude
06-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Reply with the door tag codes... It may be a shadow masked car. Some information about identifying AMX's can be found here. I am not an AMX expert so I cannot give you what to look for off the top of my head. Just seems strange someone would paint the engine compartment flat black by chance. Since you are in need of a paint job, you may find an area that has been painted flat black and sand down a little... courious what color was under it. Who knows you may have a burnt orange shadow masked AMX... It seems to be a hot color scheme.

Vegas dude
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
304 dude-

Isn't shadow mask applicable to only the '70 AMX? I have been considering only '68s and '69s, and did not think the shadow mask issue applied. Am I wrong?

69amcxtc
07-07-2005, 05:01 AM
The engine compartment should be engine color for 68-69 AMX. Radiator cross support as well. But if you had a "light" color car than anything below the top of the support would be blacked out, so when viewing through grill it would be black. The black spray would then overspray up over the hood latch assembly and over the top of the radiator support,leaving a black section across the top of the radiator support. Everyone confused now?? If anyone wants a couple pictures blast me a email and I will send some.

sbianch1@rochester.rr.com