PDA

View Full Version : Restoriation Services

Cris
07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
I have a 1971 AMX 401. I've had it for several years with the intent of restoring it but life gets too busy sometimes and so I am looking for reccomendations for restoration services. I'm not looking to show the car just enjoy it. Any recomendations would be appreciated. I am located in the New York City area.

Thank you

Cris

304_dude
07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi,

Now it would help on what type of restore... many use the term loosely.

What ever you do to restore the car make it as OEM as possible... But don't waist your money in all the little stuff, you'll never drive it.

If money is a problem then go with what you want (new paint, new brakes and wheels, performance suspension...) since it is you who is driving it.

Hint: If your car has an automatic, it would be best to swap a Jeep TH400 (note: to use the torq-command tranny you need machine work on the crank flange; I don't think this is a problem with the TH400 plus it is the best tranny).

Don't do anything to the car that cannot be undone.

It is easy to be taken for a ride if you do not get knowledgeable first. Always get a second or third opinion. If they want your business they will work with you.

Engine work... I can recommend Jasper, Eagle or any national engine rebuilder.

Any good body shop can do body work; always with any service get involved.

Interior work... Believe it or not the body shop did a good job cleaning and repainting the plastic parts... if they have broken mounting holes or edges, you may have to replace them.

Air conditioning... there was a link about sending your stuff to a company in FL. They will match and replace the old stuff with new parts so you can use today’s refrigerant, since R-12 is no longer available. Any Air tech can install and service it. Best done while the car is stripped clean for restoration.

All in all... A 71 AMC Javelin is not to different than any other modern car... especially the interior.

Cris
07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the information! I was hoping someone out there could recommend more of a one stop shopping where I could bring the car and they would be knowledgeable enough about AMC's to be able to do these things for me and have the knowledge to make the same kind of suggestions you did. At this stage I am just looking for more of a weekend driver car, something I can enjoy. Fix the rust, paint, engine and interior. Again I don't want to show the car just drive and enjoy it. I agree I want to keep it as OEM as possible, keeping it as a true AMC but I don't want to worry too much about tiny little details at this point. By way of details the car it's a '71 AMX, 401 with functional cowl hood, automatic. It has the typical rust behind the rear wheels and some rust in the trunk. The dash is a mess but all of the parts are there. It's a non AC car but I would love to make it an AC car.

Thanks for your help!

Cris

Hi,

Now it would help on what type of restore... many use the term loosely.

What ever you do to restore the car make it as OEM as possible... But don't waist your money in all the little stuff, you'll never drive it.

If money is a problem then go with what you want (new paint, new brakes and wheels, performance suspension...) since it is you who is driving it.

Hint: If your car has an automatic, it would be best to swap a Jeep TH400 (note: to use the torq-command tranny you need machine work on the crank flange; I don't think this is a problem with the TH400 plus it is the best tranny).

Don't do anything to the car that cannot be undone.

It is easy to be taken for a ride if you do not get knowledgeable first. Always get a second or third opinion. If they want your business they will work with you.

Engine work... I can recommend Jasper, Eagle or any national engine rebuilder.

Any good body shop can do body work; always with any service get involved.

Interior work... Believe it or not the body shop did a good job cleaning and repainting the plastic parts... if they have broken mounting holes or edges, you may have to replace them.

Air conditioning... there was a link about sending your stuff to a company in FL. They will match and replace the old stuff with new parts so you can use today’s refrigerant, since R-12 is no longer available. Any Air tech can install and service it. Best done while the car is stripped clean for restoration.

All in all... A 71 AMC Javelin is not to different than any other modern car... especially the interior.

304_dude
07-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, as long as your paint is not plum, your ok... any good Chevy, Ford or MOPAR restorer can do an AMC. The paint code is simple, if they are not knowlageable you can always get a 71 Tech Service manual and Supplement.

You did not say if you had an early 71... Hi compression 401... It is the golden grail if you will. IF not still it is still sought after.

The critical details:

The engine tag on the valve cover

Working dual snorkle air cleaner assembly

Machine wheels if it has them (over $1,500 for a good restored set) does not mater after markets if you like

Good set of rear lenses for backup and turn/stop lights (they can make or break a good restore)

Working rim blow steering wheel (I prefer the rally wheel) Make sure the center cap is correct

Original radio (FM or 8 track) sounds funny but they are unique now these days

A good condition mesh screen grill cover

Most emblems can be gotten as reproduction or OEM if you look around. Don't worry about the rally pac gauges cluster. Too many AMX's with them... but then again there are some have been swapped with a standard cluster for a quick buck some time before selling.

The only thing to watch out for is hidden costs... do not ok anything over the phone (be there in person, its your car). If not sure ask questions, if they don't make any sense you can always put the questions here. Enlist in an AMC chapter they have a good deal of information and how to get what you need for restoring.

Big Bad AMX
07-24-2005, 09:15 PM

Here's the A/C article link:
http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/showthread.php?t=91

Just a note on R-12 vs R-134: It's true that since the clean air act in January 1996 R-12 is no longer for sale directly to the public, however it is still available commercially.

It is about $90.00 a pound installed. While more expensive than R-134 the two are not compatible and if all traces of R-12 are not removed from an old system it will corrode and leak. Also an older system will not cool as efficiently with R-134 as it will with R-12.

Mr. Ellas
08-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Can we start adding proper paint colors and brands to use for hood detailing
What color are the brackets that hold the hood down and attach to the frame of a 69 amx

What paint manufacturer?

Big Bad AMX
08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Can we start adding proper paint colors and brands to use for hood detailing
What color are the brackets that hold the hood down and attach to the frame of a 69 amx

What paint manufacturer?

Take a look at this thread.
http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/showthread.php?t=270

Mr. Ellas
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
I saw the thread. I was tryin to determine the color of the bracket that locks the hood and goes between the grill and the radiator. What color and brand paint. One person says chassy black and another says sem trim flat black if your amx 69 is light colored.

Help!! :confused: