PDA

View Full Version : AMX's at auction

dpc502
11-07-2004, 10:26 AM
HI,
Two AMX's will be up for auction in Scottsdale in Jan. Barrett-Jackson list 2 [1 Regatta Blue 390/auto & 1 BBG 500 Special ] at no reserve. Will be on Speed Vision live if anyone is interested.
Have a great AMC day,
dpc502

Big Bad AMX
11-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll be watching. Barrett-Jackson is always entertaining. Be interesting to see what kind of money they bring.

Gopak12
11-08-2004, 09:55 AM
What will the date be in January? I'd be interested in watching. Barrett-Jackson is always fun to watch...and wish I could afford those cars! Thanks!

dpc502
11-08-2004, 07:07 PM
HI,
The 1st. should go on the Thurs. The 27th.[Blue] Calif. Special should go on Sun. the 30th. Info. & pictures [of blue car] can be found on www.barrett-jackson.com.

Big Bad AMX
12-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Just passing the following info on........

Big news, the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Preview Show (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/about/bj05preshow.asp) will be airing tonight (December 1st) on the SPEED Channel. The Preview Show is scheduled for 9:00 PM EST and will also replay this Sunday, 8:00 PM EST. You can get additional times and information by going to www.barrett-jackson.com (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/) or www.speedtv.com (http://www.speedtv.com/). The Preview Show will offer a look at some of the cars and buyers coming to the 34th Annual Barrett-Jackson Auction (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/auctionoverview.asp) in Scottsdale, Arizona. With 1,000 of the finest collector and classic cars ever assembled selling all at NO RESERVE, plus an extra auction day, this year's event is shaping up to be better than ever!

donsjave
12-26-2004, 07:33 PM
I just back from an auction back in Iowa where they sold 3 AMC's. 2 AMX's and a Javelin. You would not believe the prices that these people went up to.
The AMX's were all original with neither motor started in over 15 years. I believe that one motor was seized in that there was three of us there trying to turn it over by hand. The Javelin had only 5600 miles on it and had become very wet in the recent past. Was very mildewy.
Anyway, the AMX's went for $19,500 and $21,750, the 19,000 AMX had 38,000 miles on it and the 21,000 AMX had 16,000 miles on it. The Javelin went for $23,900.
Question-- Were these cars "over" bidded. Nice originals but not $20,000 nice, if you know what I mean.

dpc502
12-26-2004, 08:07 PM
What motor/trans. combo & acc. were the cars ? Also color/interior color has a big effect. However, the most influential factor would be was beer available at the concession stand?

donsjave
12-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Sorry to inform you but there was no beer, booze, or weed available. The color combos were AMX Big Bad Green, AMX Gold Lime Metalic with Shadow Mask, Javelin dark green with "parchment" interior. the AMX's both had black interior. All Cars had the 390 with 4 speed setup. I still think they were somewhat oversold, if that is a correct word for it.
I will be posting a story about these cars in the near future. It will be the same story that I wrote for our local newsletter here minus the pictures.

69amcxtc
12-28-2004, 09:16 AM
It may not be what you or I would pay, but overpriced or overpaid no way. I like to look at at this way. If those wer MOPARs or Chevys the price would have been astonishing. It is always good for the AMC collector or enthusiast to see a AMX or Javelin go for a nice price. It is time for the AMC Muscle cars and all other AMCs to achieve a premium price. Being a proud owner of a 69 big bad blue javelin go-pak 390/4spd etc... one of 465 built ???(based on color alone) and the list value of my car is far below any comparable Chevy, Mopar or Ford that hurts. Do not misinterpret what I have wrote here because I have never intended to sell my car now or even in the distant future. But the automotive collectors demand what they demand and the AMC cars will forever struggle behind the BIG 3 as they did in the past. Cheers to the people that paid for those cars, they have begun to establish a foothold of respect for a little company called American Motors

donsjave
12-28-2004, 06:11 PM
I still am not convinced, sorry. I own 2 AMC's, one being a Javelin (71) SST and the other a 70 AMX. Now, I can only go into the most recent buy and that was the 70 AMX. I paid 3600 for the car and it was a mess. I bought this car 3 years ago and put in another 12,000 to include engine and paint. I last heard that most AMX's for 70 will go for around 18,000 and they must be running. Neither of the 3 cars were sold as running units. Sorry, but I disagree. My 71, I bought almost 25 years ago (have had longer than I been married) and in only the last couple of years have I put some coin into it. Total perhaps around 6,000 or so. I have had both cars appraised and maybe I should find an appraiser who can really up the value, but I won't. Like you, I keep my AMC's for a long time, besides I like the cars. We can disagree on this issue, however we can agree on one issue, there is nothing like the sound of built AMC V-8. They have their own distinct sound that is different than any Mopar, Ford, or GM that I heard of. The second thing is, at one time when in my youth, what drew me to Javelins and AMXs were the price. AMC were kind of cheap at the time (1970's-1980's) and were very easy to work on. I am not trying to detract from what you are saying, just that I am use to seeing and hearing cars (AMC) that will run.

69amcxtc
12-29-2004, 09:58 AM
You have made some good points, but perhaps you are not looking at it from the same point of view as me. You have a 1969 BBG AMX with a non running 390 four speed setup.How many were made of this car? Once again based on color rough estimate of 284 units. Break it down from there 390/4spd, california special. I see this as a very rare muscle car. Hence it should draw a amount of interest and price that is deserving of a rare muscle car of this period. Put a Plymouth GTX 426 Hemi car/auto on that auction block with no motor and low mileage on the body and see what they pay for that. Production total of around 100 units for that Plymouth. As with any thing else that is sold on a open market it is all supply and demand. By the way my friend has that Plymouth. Garage kept for almost 24 years now. He has never driven the car , he bought it with no engine around 1980. Would someone pay $20000 for that car?? Yeah, probably

donsjave
12-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Yea, you are probably right about this issue in the rarity of the vehicles themselves. I do have a friend who has the California Special AMX, although not perfect, it is a nice looker. I kind go for the total production numbers for 68-70 and even at that they did not break 14,000 cars. Taken also consideration of how many have been wrecked, trashed, or otherwise disabled, it does not leave many left. I keep my AMX and Javelin, I even told my wife to bury me in the Javelin (I do not think Colorado will allow it) because then I will have something to beat friends who drove the other three makes in heaven (or hell ). My Javelin has really come alive since I ditched the 304 and stuck a semi-built 360 in it. FYI the Javelin has about 95,000 and the AMX has 47,000 miles on them. Not the lowest miles in the world, but I do know every bolt, screw, and nut on a personal level.