PDA

View Full Version : Gas Sending Units for 71 Javlein

donsjave
11-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a few questions concerning the gas sending unit that's installed in the fuel tank of Javelins. I have a 71 Javelin SST with a V-8 and AC and I installed a new sending unit that I purchased from an AMC vendor. The standard warranty is 90 days on Electrical components and that time has past sometime ago. Here is the problem, I have found out that the sending unit has grounded out somewhere within the unit itself necesiated the removal of the unit itself from the tank itself. I have tested all the wiring leading to the gauge itself and it checks out okay. I then found an old sending unit that I had taken out of a 70 AMX (my wife's car) and tested the gauge for accuracy. Everything works with that sending unit (AMX) and the gauge reads accuractly whereever the float arm is put. (note: I cannot use this sending unit because the float has a hole in it). Here is what I need to know:

1. Is there another unit that will work with AMC gas gauges such as a Ford or Chevrolet or Chyrsler unit?? I have found it very diffucult to find another AMC unit that does not cost an arm and a leg. If there is another unit that can be swapped out for the AMC unit, is it a drop in or do modifications have to be made somewhere?? If so where??

2. When I originally removed the old unit from the 71, I noticed that it was not the unit that originally came with the car. However, this unit was a working unit until about 3 years ago. The difference was that this unit had something like a vent tube (or return line tube) that was insetted with that of the normal fuel line pickup tube meaning that there was 2 separate lines coming out of the unit itself. AMC did not use this type of sending units in 70 or 71. Since I dispose this old unit, I have no way of knowing what kind of unit it was originally designed for.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.