PDA

View Full Version : unusual transmission......

AMC maniac
11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
:confused: the transmission out of my 73 javelin (torqueflite 998) has a different ring gear and torque converter. my buddy who is going to rebuild it says he hasnt seen a torqueflite like that. insted of the ring gear attached to the torque converter it is attached to the flywheel, my 73 and 74 technical service manuals say the ring gear should be on the converter, and to mark it when you take it off (which i didnt) :( for balancing reasons. but it also says for "replacement" parts they are balanced individually is it possible the replacements came that way? if any one knows help would be greatly appriciated thanks

donsjave
03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge, all automatics used the ring gear on the flexplate (flywheel) on AMC cars. I have a 73 TMS and it shows the ring gear on the flexplate. So I don't think that AMCs are unusual or anything, just the way they did it at the time. As far as balancing is concerned, all AMC engines (V-8s) are balance by the way of the Flexplate, crank, and the vibration dampner. I think that in old school, it's called "Detroit Balancing" and it can be a pain in the you know what. :eek:

RGBJavelin
08-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Mopars have their Ring Gear on the Converter. All AMC's have their ring gear on the Flexplate, I think that is where it belongs. Have you ever listened to a Mopar start? Even My Dodge friends hate that sound! :eek:

donsjave
09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I actually do not like the ring gear on the flexplate for the reason if you are not real careful, you could throw the whole motor out of balance. Everytime that I have overhauled the motors, I carefully check the flexplate for cracks and the ring gear for wear. I do this first before I even take the motor in the machine shop because while the motor is there, I have them also balanced the crank, vibration dampner, and the flexplate (flywheel). Any one component of the mass out of whack will throw the whole motor out of balance. The real pain for me is when the ring gear wears out and there is nothing wrong with the motor. Must easier to change the rear gear if it's on the converter since it is not a part of the balancing of the motor itself. You got to do the same amount of work to change the stupid things out but in a way less headache of not having to worry about possible balancing problems with the motor.