PDA

View Full Version : Extreame Tech advice for frankenstien's monster

Dad's 69 sst
12-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a few tech questions that I’m hoping some of you hardcore AMC gurus can answer.

I have built many Mopars and Chevys in the past. And a few Fords (But only for friends… and I washed my hands thourghly afterwards.)

I have my dad’s 69 Javelin SST.
It came with a 290/BW auto.
I pulled it packed it away and dropped in a 73 AMC 360.
This car is affectionately named Frankenstien’s Monster for a reason.
I stole parts from past projects to assemble it.
I took a Dana 60 from an old Dart with the super stock springs.
It has a spool and a 4:11 gear.
I have an AMC 727 with a Mopar valve body with a cheetah reverse manual kit in it.
I have the clutch packs increased to 5.
And a 2800 stall converter.
The 360 is bored 45 over to accommodate Chevy 400 pistons. (0.001 dome, light weight with valve relief)
I have Chevy eagle connecting rods mounting to an offset cut down AMC360 crank.
The block has had the oiling mods done. The heads are the large valve dog leg heads.
They have Mopar BB 440 valves in them and have had bowl work, and some mild porting. It has the after market adjustable rocker arm studs and Ford performance rocker arms.
It is about 11:1 compression. I use a Lunati Cam.
The intake is an AMC performer intake with a Mopar Thermoquad Carb with performance kit. (not too sure if I am happy with this carb)
The distributor is an HEI GM style cut to fit.
I also stripped out the old brake system and bolted in an 85 Camero. (booster and everything bolted right in after I pressed out the 4 mounting studs.)

With all that said… The car runs 12.57 in the quarter fairly consistently. (with lots of tire spin.) Best time of 12:43

I want to use a 401 crankshaft. Offset cut it for Chevy rods.

Has anyone put a 401 Crank into a 360?

I know it will bolt in, but I am worried about any clearance cuts that would have to be made. Hopefully none!

With this upgrade the engine should be pushing out 392 cu inches.

Thanks
Jim

PS, I’m looking for a stock hood and 401 crank in the Michigan area.