PDA

View Full Version : Help ID my car.

Dad's 69 sst
12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I have my dad's 69 Javelin sst
He bought it used in 1973 from a dealership.

It was red with a black C stripe on lower door. It had the Mod scoops.
But it also had a white vinyl top. (back cap)
It had a black interior with white bucket seats in front and a artic silver?(whiteish) center dash.
It came with a 290 auto with floor shift. The motor was yanked out with only 40 kms on it to put in a race built motor.

Is this comination possible?
If it was a mod Javelin could it come with a vinyl top and no spoiler?

It was originally purchased by a local racer.
My dad wrote to him (in 73) and recieved a long list of items they replaced.
The tech guy even gave his part numbers for replacement parts.
The car was modiffied by the racer. (Sandy Elliott)
He removed the stripe from the doors and had his name put on them. He also put his 68 343 in it. And put on a set of thrust mags on it.
Custom thrush exhaust, hood pins and some rear end mods.
When my dad got it the names were removed from the doors. But everything else was left in it.

I figure he probally swapped out the buckets and center dash for racing equiptment. But my dad seems to think they were original.
The build sheet is long gone. Is their a fender tag I can decode?
Thanks for any help.

Jim

donsjave
12-11-2005, 10:35 AM
First thing is that if this car was modified, I may be the wrong person to answer all of the questions here.
To the best of my knowledge, if the car orginally came with the vinyl roof option, it will not have the roof spoiler on it. At the time you could have one or the other, but not both.

The seats were one of two styles only, the bench seat and the buckets were available then and various options were available as far as what you wanted for fabric material on those seats.

As far as other modifications made to the car, if he bought this from the racer or if a racer once owned it, all bets are off. There were many modifications that could have been performed at that time and it could be anyones guess on what was done or not done.

The VIN code would help somewhat in what the car originally had when new and some sense can be made with it. It will tell you what the car originally came with and the such. This will deal mainly with the engine and tranny and the such. It will not tell you if the rearend was changed out with something else or the like. Post the VIN which is located on the one of the shock towers in the engine bay, and someone will try to tell you what it says (if not me). :)