PDA

View Full Version : Barrett-Jackson Auction

donsjave
01-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Since this is the age of high prices for any and all collector cars, thought that I would let everyone know that the AMC end of the auction didn't do too bad.
The three AMC's that went on the block were two AMX's and one Machine. The highest prices were as follows:

1969 AMX California Special 500---- $55,000
1970 AMX with few options---------$43,200
1979 Machine----------------------$16,200

A little disappointed that the Machine didn't do better, but what the heck, the prices are starting to rise in the world of AMC.

Of course I am talking of the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. :)

Cheesehead Don
01-22-2006, 10:37 AM
The wife and I have been following the auction since the opening night.
It's been very entertaining seeing the cars and what the sell for.

It's also helped my wife understand the value of these cars and maybe not divorce me when see finds out what I'm spending to restore my javelin ;)

donsjave
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea, could not agree with you more. I bought a 70 AMX 4 or 5 years ago and my wife thought that I was nuts. Initial price for this piece (my wife called it junk at the time) was 3600. After we got done with everything it needed, the final price settled in at about 11,000. And to think that they sold a 70 AMX for over 40,000 it kind of makes me wonder what our AMX is really worth. Nothing real fancy about our ride, 390 4 speed car with A/C, tilt, and FM radio, and the all important power steering. Seems strange that it has manual brakes and they are all drums all of the way around. I guess this makes it a non go-pak car, but what the heck, I even managed to find the ram air setup for under the hood, so yep, someday it will have the ram air put on it. :)

Cheesehead Don
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Donsjave, how does the 4 wheel manual drum brakes work for you?
Is the stopping power adiquate?

My Javelin has 4 wheel manual drums and I really want to upgrade the front to power disc. The car wasn't running when I bought it so I have no idea how well 4 wheel drum works. It was also a 6 cylinder car.

It will have a fresh 401 with a 727 trans. My wife will probably drive it every now and then :eek: so I want to make sure it will stop.

RayG
01-23-2006, 08:08 PM
390, 4 speed with air, tilt, fm radio and power steering sounds pretty fancy to me. That's a well optioned car !

Yea, could not agree with you more. I bought a 70 AMX 4 or 5 years ago and my wife thought that I was nuts. Initial price for this piece (my wife called it junk at the time) was 3600. After we got done with everything it needed, the final price settled in at about 11,000. And to think that they sold a 70 AMX for over 40,000 it kind of makes me wonder what our AMX is really worth. Nothing real fancy about our ride, 390 4 speed car with A/C, tilt, and FM radio, and the all important power steering. Seems strange that it has manual brakes and they are all drums all of the way around. I guess this makes it a non go-pak car, but what the heck, I even managed to find the ram air setup for under the hood, so yep, someday it will have the ram air put on it. :)

cali201
01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
There was one other AMX, the last one. It was yellow with blue stripes and a light gray interior with speakers in the door. The air cleaner was yellow with a blue stripe also. Exhaust tips had two tips each side (total of 4). Needless to say it only sold for $21,000. It looked nice but with those colors and the interior color change.............................I am sure the seller was disapointed, especially after the other two sold for $40 and $50.

Jim G
'68 AMX

donsjave
01-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey Donsjave, how does the 4 wheel manual drum brakes work for you?
Is the stopping power adiquate?

My Javelin has 4 wheel manual drums and I really want to upgrade the front to power disc. The car wasn't running when I bought it so I have no idea how well 4 wheel drum works. It was also a 6 cylinder car.

It will have a fresh 401 with a 727 trans. My wife will probably drive it every now and then :eek: so I want to make sure it will stop.

The 4 wheel drum brakes stop fairly well. But you have to remember that a AMX is somewhat lighter wieght wise. The stopping power is more than adequate for the size of the car. Now, I do also have a 71 Javelin SST that originally came with power drum brakes and those things were a dog. In general the brakes on my 71 sucked. I put a disc conversion on it and it improved the braking 100%. Since AMC used the same set up for both cars and the braking was dramatically different, I would change the your car over. Or at least try and put a power booster on your drums and see how it works. The worse thing that I had with my Javelin was the severe brake fading that occured almost everytime that I drove around here in town. Good luck and drive safe.

Cheesehead Don
01-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Thx for the info :)
I went ahead and bought a front disc conversion and a new power booster/master cylinder combo.

What the hell, it's only money ;)

70 goldenlime
03-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Since this is the age of high prices for any and all collector cars, thought that I would let everyone know that the AMC end of the auction didn't do too bad.
The three AMC's that went on the block were two AMX's and one Machine. The highest prices were as follows:

1969 AMX California Special 500---- $55,000
1970 AMX with few options---------$43,200
1979 Machine----------------------$16,200

A little disappointed that the Machine didn't do better, but what the heck, the prices are starting to rise in the world of AMC.

Of course I am talking of the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. :)

The prices are going up on AMC's .I been looking for a 70 AMX 390 4spd car for a while. I have seen rusted out projects for 5k-6k. Old 80's style restoration street cars for 8K- 15K (that need a restoration but you could drive). Nice restored cars but going for 18k - 27K. Note these cars for 18k-27k some were autos, some had the worng color and some defects etc etc.
The prices for parts are not cheap so,the value has to go up. In the last two years i notice a price increase of 25+%.
I say to the guys that say you can get a mint 70 390 4spd go pac car for under 20K show me it.

dpc502
03-31-2006, 08:24 PM
A California 500 Special sold at auction in Dalton Ga. last week for 29,500 plus a 6 percent buyer's premium. Very nice AMX but several non OEM parts; ie: a/c compressor , radio , wheels ,& a lot of chrome on engine and block & heads painted yellow. Still a very nice "X".

SPECK
06-13-2006, 07:05 PM
That's pretty good other then the Machine.

javelinjeff
06-24-2006, 01:23 PM
if you look carefully at the cars that got the big $,you will see engines and undersides perfectly spotless,clean fully restored.these are show only cars that only are driven off their enclosed trailers.as for the cars most of us own,we like to enjoy(drive) ours to gatherings,shows,etc.as our cars are indeed rising in value as collectors items we can learn from this that cleanliness is the key.