PDA

View Full Version : super charger?? turbocharger??

sstlover666
02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
:confused: how and where do i get one? what kind of problems can i expect? i have been seeing pictures of 360's with twin turbos and i just have to know. i might be interested in blasting the plastic off some mitsubishi's in my area. everyone is familiar with this amx.

http://www.amcpacer.com/images/kenosha-29-amx.jpg

while i am not planning on going that wild i would like some shine under the hood and some boost under my rusty old pedal. anyone with any advice plz write :p

bigbad68
02-11-2006, 08:52 AM
How much money do you have?? If you want to put any turbo or supercharger on your car expect to pay a lot for your motor build up. I have heard of guys spending more than $4000 on a motor to get it built correctly.

sstlover666
02-11-2006, 06:22 PM
it was just a question. perosonally i dont have much money i would just like to find some ways to get some more power. im sure mitsubishis and hondas fall apart at the sight of my amc. most of the parts im not buying new, im rebuilding. yesterday i fixed and painted a leaky power steering pump (anyone that needs help write me) tomorrow if it doesnt snow i'll be pulling my engine

ikemen
02-12-2006, 08:39 AM
You can still make your 360 pretty quick on the cheap...I read this post from another forum..Which I will be doing a similar build.. ~ike~

I can truthfully say If I had the money I would do a very simmilar build and be happy with simmilar results. For once in my life it would be nice to not have to scrounge around for filthy, rusty, dented, well used, but not totally used up stuff.

But, since I've never made a dime on the lottery and I picked a hard way to make a living, it looks like I'll continue doing things on the cheap.

For the sake of comparison and discussion here is my 360 build;

DISCLAIMER: I never said I was a guru. I stumbled onto this combination. I built this thing with what I had and what I could afford.

-`72 360 from a Wagoneer.
-Stock crank.
-Stock rods with ARP bolts.
-Stock 343 cast pistons.
-`77 heads. Home ported.
-Stock bridged rockers.
-Stock pushrods.
-Stock valves, retainers and keepers.
-Comp 280H
-Crane 99839 single valve springs.
-Torker
-Carter 625
-Hooker 1 3/4 Super Comps
-Stock single point ignition with heavy duty points
-Accell Super Coil

The only new parts that went into my build were the rod bolts, cam, lifters, springs, timing chain, bearings and gaskets.

Total cost $900

Now I can't throw any dyno numbers at you, but consider this; It turned 11.36 @ 120 mph in a 3,000 lb Gremlin. How much horsepower does that take?

I have close to 400 runs and two years of summer driving on this engine. It has never been apart. I will however take it apart to take a peek inside, clean it up and paint it before I put in into another car.

RGBJavelin
03-08-2006, 06:39 AM
That's the way to do it! Keep it simple, make it reliable, and learn as go. A deceant running AMC V8 will make plenty of ponies, turbos are for the guys trying to make power from a motor with a displacement that is less than what I drink at pizza time! I mean 1 to 2 Litres, even with a 304, which is 5 litres, one has twice as many cylinders making power for you. Now,there are some Tuners out there that are making some serious power with those little rice burners, but either alot of cash or a lot of modification has taken place.
A warmed over 360 will put your Javelin ahead of most. A streetable cam, manifold and carb, Headers or even the free flow type stock exhuast manifolds. Rear end gears can make a big difference too.
You can always upgrade to the 390/401. With a blower (supercharger), I doubt if anyone on the street, no matter what they are driving, could touch you. But there is a saying, 'Speed is just a question of money, How fast do you want to go?' and another that goes like 'Turbos are nice, but I'd rather be Blown' :cool:
This is just an opinion, simple is cheap, reliable is cheaper, and learning is priceless.

javelinjeff
03-09-2006, 05:48 PM
talk to tony @ california classic amc. he has a blown 401,see it on his website.i have personally rode in the car back in 92.if anyone could tell you what is involved to put a blower on an amc,he would be the one.expect to spend more than pizza & beer money to do this---how fast you want to go depends on how much you want to spend amc-ya