PDA

View Full Version : Cooling systems

sstlover666
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
i look through jegs alot and the aluminum radiators really catch my eye. visually they dont look to be much different than the one i pulled out of my 69 javelin. im wondering if any of these radiators would work, im sure i would have to custom mount them, but mechanically would they work? and i would like to repeat this question for electric fans, they seem to have a big advantage over regular fans

javelinjeff
04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
yes anything can be made to fit as long as the size is right,but for what you would spend you could have your radiator re-cored.as for electric fans you would need to put in a relay and an adjustable temp sensor switch because you would not want your fans not to turn on untill high temperatures like a newer car.and since electric fans draw lots of amps i would not advise splicing into the fuseblock since amc did not make provisions for high amperage accessories.

sstlover666
04-03-2006, 08:11 AM
im 16 and pretty inexperienced in the automotive world, what is a fuse block? is that like a wiring harness? because i plan on getting a new, universal, wiring harness

Big Bad AMX
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
donsjave wrote an article on radiators here:
http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/showthread.php?t=507&highlight=radiator
though he doesn't go into aluminum radiators he tells of what he did to improve cooling in his car.

A fuse block is basically the "distribution center" for the vehicles electrical system. Older vehicles used a cylindrical glass and steel fuse. Newer vehicles use either a maxi, or mini blade-style fuse. In general, older vehicle fuse blocks are located under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

sstlover666
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks that definently does help and that article does give me something to think about. under-hood i am not too worried about looking stock. my father and i have discussed the possibilities of a new radiator or getting mine re-cored. its my viewpoint that for the extra money a 2 month old new radiator is more efficient than a 38 year old one that wasnt outstanding in its day. i know most guys here are all about keeping it amc but i just want to make it cool and bring some local guys over from the dark side (bowties-mustangs). thanks for the help! :D