PDA

View Full Version : pleasent surprise

sstlover666
04-13-2006, 05:44 AM
I just pulled my engine last night and it came out surprisingly easily. The vin number identified the engine as a 290 but when i saw the numbers for myself i was very very pleasently surprised to see 360 cast on the side. what does this mean? this cannot be the original engine because it was called the 343 in 69, right?

cali201
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Perhaps someone dropped in a 360 in place of the 290

sstlover666
04-13-2006, 06:09 PM
well thats pretty clear. i know the last owner never modified the car, or even drove it. I believe the person he bought it off of might have tried to restore it.there is bondo hidding alot of holes i am finding, newer engine mounts, newer exhaust, newer radio, and pacer wheels. my father and i are now between two different paths, one is to dismantle the block and have it machined and all that, the other is to trade it in to jasper for a perfect 360 block and theyll also take some of our money. any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

javelinjeff
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
since you already have a 360,which is a fine motor,go ahead and build that one with forged pistons,hotter cam,have your heads done,etc.this way you can specify to your builder how you want it to run.if you buy a remanufactured engine most likely it will be stock compression with stock cam using cast pistons.that would mean you would have to take apart your "new" motor if you are looking to increase power.