PDA

View Full Version : jeep rear end

sstlover666
05-19-2006, 01:00 PM
this is kind of crazy but the more and more i think about it it seems plausible. i drive a 1996 jeep grand cherokee with an inline 6. on a whim i measured its rear end and my javelins rear end and they were both 56". they are also both dana's. what i am thinking is that i could go to one of my many local yards and find a grand cherokee rear end WITH the disc brakes and everything already on and virtually bolt it right up to my javelin. I know it sounds weird and i might have to transfer the gears out of it, but it seems plausible. please leave some opinions or advice. :)

Big Bad AMX
05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Even if it bolts on the leaf springs and the driveshaft matches up, there are problems to consider. Trying to get proper braking distribution without a computer chip proportioning system is very difficult. And unfortunately a correct one for our cars doesn't exist. Modifying a modern 4-wheel disc braking system that is computer chip controlled and getting them to work properly and safely on a Javelin or AMX has been tried and wasn't proven to be beneficial in the end.

sstlover666
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
it did seem alittle too easy to work. hopefully there is some easier way to get my disc brakes instead of shelling out over 700 for the conversion. i know i can find the parts in junkyards but i dont know if i can trust those with my car or my life. What year did the jeep start using computer controlled braking??

sstlover666
06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
there has to be a rear end that will work. maybe i can find a grand wagoneer rear end that wasnt chip operated or something

javelinjeff
06-18-2006, 06:35 PM
the 4 wheel disc setup on cherokees is an ABS system.also note that the leaf springs sit on TOP of rear end,unlike yours where the springs are UNDER the axle housings.sure you can cut and re-weld the spring mounts but be absolutely certain the pinion angle is correct or vibrations will develop that will make driving it a bummer.

sstlover666
06-20-2006, 08:25 PM
maybe paying for the conversion kit is worth it lol