PDA

View Full Version : car surges at full throttle

ekafrawy
05-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I installed a new Holley Carb on my 71 Javelin 360, a few weeks back, and it runs ok, but when i stomp on the gas, it surges, and doesn't accelerate smoothly. But if I press the gas abut 3/4 the way down, it pulls pretty hard.

The carb is a 4bbl 650 Holley, and the only adjustments I made to it is the idle. The timming is set at about 5* advanced. The car is completely stock other than that, and only has 35,000 miles on it.
I did replace the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air filter, and fuel filter.

it was also doing this before i replaced the stock carb. So i thought getting a new carb would help.

Any ideas?

sstlover666
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
check all your lines running to and from your carb. make sure you are not burning old gas. you could even take the carb off and look in your manifold for carbon build up. just a few suggestions. let me know if they helped :)

ekafrawy
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
When i replaced the carb, i cleaned out a lot of the carbon in the manifold. I also replaced all the vacuum lines with new ones. I'm thinking it has to do with either the vacuum advance or mechanical advance. Keep in mind everything (except for new carb/plugs/wires/cap/rotor) is origional on the car. The car only has 30,000 miles on it.