PDA

View Full Version : Voltage regulator or...

LanceJones
06-06-2006, 02:33 AM
I'm having big trouble with my '68.. I put in a new vbelt saturday and tightend it up with a big screwdriver. I unhooked the battery first, but when I hooked it up again I got a short circuit. Now it's like when I hook up my battery everything starts working, I mean the dash lights up like xmas, fuel pump starts,...
How can this happen? What did I do wrong?... Is the voltage reg bad, and can I test this?
Really need someones help on this one

bigbad68
06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
You got a good one! Make sure the wires on you starter soleniod are in the right spot. Either that or your soleniod is bad. That is the best guess that I have. Hope you get things cleared up.

donsjave
06-19-2006, 04:48 PM
First I am going to assume that you replaced the alternator belt and the problem could be that you unhook one of the wires going to the alternator. Unhooking any of the wires will short out the system if it is grounding out anywhere on the engine or the alternator case. Check and make sure that your wires are in the proper place. Then if they are okay, start tracing looking for a wire that it is grounding out. This sounds like it would be in the starting circuit to include the ignition circuit.

LanceJones
06-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Problem solved, and funny thing is I really can't say what did the trick. I only unhooked both battery cables and then hooked them back on :confused:

but hey I'm not complaining, car is back on the road (but I'm referring to another problem: hot engine vs starter :rolleyes: )

javelinjeff
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
if you have nothing drawing power (inside lights-door open,clock,etc)you should definitely NOT get a spark when you disconnect/connect a battery cable.yes double check those wires at the alternator as if they are wrong you will have damaged the regulator.also i forgot to mention in my reply to your starting problem that a weak solenoid is another possibility.also when you turn on the key,does the ALT idiot light come on?does it glow when running?