PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.

Dakotart
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
My mom's boss has bought a Javelin with a 243(i think) straight 6 in it and a 3 speed. He wants to swap it out for a 304. Will it drop in place of the 243 with no problems. In other words do they use the same motor mounts and tranny's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

donsjave
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
My mom's boss has bought a Javelin with a 243(i think) straight 6 in it and a 3 speed. He wants to swap it out for a 304. Will it drop in place of the 243 with no problems. In other words do they use the same motor mounts and tranny's? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
The simple answer is no it will not work. Javelins base engine was the 232 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder. With the horsepower difference between a 6 cylinder engine and that of a V-8 AMC used lighter duty stuff on the 6's. In order for you to convert over to a V-8, you will need to get a V-8 cross member, V-8 springs front and rear, a V-8 transmission and other assorted goodies that could take quite some time to procur. Now the thing that could be done is to change over to the 258 CI 6 cylinder. These should just drop in and this would do nicely in a original 6 cylinder car. 258 sixes are not the fastest thing in the world, but with some aftermarket stuff, they would cruise quite nicely. Good luck in your search for the right engine.

Dakotart
06-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your help. I am going to tell him to sell the mint car that he picked up cheap and buy another that is already a V8.

Mike

javelinjeff
06-24-2006, 11:17 AM
take a 258,put a performance cam,4bbl intake and some 3&3 headers and you will be surprised at what these little sixes can do.with some porting on the head even more can happen.