PDA

View Full Version : Brake question

blurat
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Im leakin a little fluid from the fronr caliper I think. Found out that the 68 calipers are rather expensive to say the least. I also read of a swap from a later amc car. Does anyone know exactly what I should look for in a later model AMC donor. Heck, I dont even know how "later" you can get with AMC.

Thanks....Chris

donsjave
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Im leakin a little fluid from the fronr caliper I think. Found out that the 68 calipers are rather expensive to say the least. I also read of a swap from a later amc car. Does anyone know exactly what I should look for in a later model AMC donor. Heck, I dont even know how "later" you can get with AMC.

Thanks....Chris
I recently swapped out my drum brakes to disc on my 71 Javelin. Although it needed a complete swap, this is what I did. A friend of mine found a 75 Matador and pulled everything from the front end. The calibers, the rotors, the wheel spindles, etc. The swap was easy enough to do. Take off everything that was associated with the drums and replace with everything that was disc. I have been told that any AMC car from the late 60's to the mid 80's will change out (with the exception of Renaults and Jeeps). Perhaps there is some one else in Forum who give you a definite answer one way or the other. This swap is fesiable and advisable if you do a lot of driving regardless if it's in town or out in the country. Good Luck. :)

javelinjeff
07-07-2006, 11:01 PM
donsjave hit the nail on the head.it is an easy swap,you do not have any major modifications involved especially since you already have a disc brake car.get the spindles,caliper mounts,rotors from the donor car.buy remanufactured calipers with brake pads and you're done(calipers to fit donor car--note the year&model so you get the right ones,take the old calipers from donor car in to save core charge)

RGBJavelin
07-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I keep milking my front drum setup with the intention of swapping to a Disc setup in the near future, which isn't the smartest thing I have ever done, nor the most safe! :eek:

Has anyone compiled a list of the complete Disc Brake assemblies that AMC has offered? I have read that informative write up by Jeff Barfield that is all over Internet about doing this change-over. The thing that I am curious about comes from the statement dealing with getting everything from one donar car to make sure the setup is all of the same type.
Either Kelsey-Hayes, old Bendix 4 piston, Bendix for 01-40 series, Big Bendix for 10-80 series, ETC.ETC. Also the compatibility of using the 7 3/4 inch, 8 inch, or 9 inch booster, single or daul diaphragm. Finally, the master cylinder, which I thought until receantly that Disc/Drum Masters had the large/small resevoirs and the Drum/drum masters had the equal size ones.

One thing I have always enjoyed about AMC is that they generally would use the same setup across the model line-up, as well as staying with that perticular combination over many years. No doubt from being an Independent auto manufacturer in order to keep costs down.

I don't have access as much as I use to to AMC factory Parts listings, but I will try to catagorize the individual complete setups by Series and Year and post it for here for everyone to reference. I had Hornets for over 13 years and now I'm back to Javelins, time to Re-Edgumacate! If any one has access to factory parts listings from say, 68 thru '84, I am willing to do the paperwork.

Has this all been done already, maybe on this forum, or the other AMC sites? :confused:

blurat
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Are we talkin about any year?...I just looked for the first time under my car and the setup looks a little weird. Are all the AMC cars set up like that with some kinfd of spindle or like McPhearson struts?
Yikes

donsjave
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Are we talkin about any year?...I just looked for the first time under my car and the setup looks a little weird. Are all the AMC cars set up like that with some kinfd of spindle or like McPhearson struts?
Yikes
Yes, any year. What you are seeing as far as a setup is concerned is that the pre 70 (68,69) is that of the old trunnion setup that AMC used until 1969. In 1970 AMC went to the twin ball joint setup very similiar to that of the Ford Mustang. They did change the suspension end of it, but never really change anything dealing with the brakes setups. Just follow the advise that has been already noted and you should be okay. :)