PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder

Boatswain9
07-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Could someone please give me the step by step procedures for replaceing the master cylinder on my 69 amx. It does not have power or disc brakes. I just can't seem to get it right. Must be old age.

Thanking you in advance, :confused:

javelinjeff
07-27-2006, 09:21 PM
first remove brake lines using brake line wrenches-do not use open end wrenches,you might round out the ends-not good.next remove two nuts holding master cylinder to firewall.installation is reverse.when you fill master with brake fluid you will need to bleed out the air trapped inside.to do this have someone in the car push the pedal down slowly while you have the brake lines slightly loose(1/4 turn from snug).tighten lines BEFORE the person lets up on the pedal(have them say DOWN when they have the pedal to the floor so you can snug the lines THEN tell them to let up on the pedal).loosen the lines again and have them push pedal to floor again slowly.repeat this procedure several times untill when the pedal is being pushed to the floor you have steady flow of fluid coming out of where the lines screw into the side of the master cylinder.you will need to also make sure you keep the fluid level full as the level will drop quickly and if you let it get empty you will have to bleed it again so KEEP IT FULL.if the pedal feels soft and mushy after this you still have air in the system,do it again.hope this helps