PDA

View Full Version : slow start

fitz11
08-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Evening,
69 javelin sst 390
I am having a slow start after the car sits for a couple days, but once running will stop and start with very little effort.
The car may turn over 30 times before it fires after sitting.
Any ideas ??
I have an ignitor 2 and has helped out a lot

Big Bad AMX
08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
It's just a thought but if you have a Carter carb on it they will drain the fuel out of the bowls after a couple of days of sitting. It'll take some cranking to fill the bowls again. If it starts fine after being run and then sitting over night - but not after three or more days, then that's probably all it is.

If my AMX has been sitting for awhile I'll crank it for five seconds, pump it twice, crank five seconds, pump it twice and it'll fire up. If it just sits overnight then it's two pumps and it fires right up.

chance1
08-19-2006, 11:17 AM
hello and thank god i found this site !! i have a 1968 amx 390 automatic all stock .. basically my problem is this if the battery is well charged it will start right up and run very smooth , runs down the hwy like a new car ,no problems . but the other day after an hour of driving i came to a stop sign and when i went to leave the car kind pinged and ponged a little and cut off,, i rolled back to a safe spot . let it sit a while ,went to start it up and it was like a weak battery and a dragging starter . there was no steam or over flow so i don`t think it over heated .. but it never did start .like something killed the battery and also the battery and starter cables were very hot to the touch.. had it towed home on a flat bed .. next DAY charged the battery and varoom started back up ?? I NEED HELP HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU ?? I`M SCARED TO GO OFF IN MY CAR ...also if someone can email what the correct timing is on this car and the best way to set it thanx CHANCE MOORE

304_dude
08-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I had simular issues with my 73 Jav.

It is a simple fix.

Check the wiring from the alternator and the regulator. There are only a few connections so identifying weak contacts should be easy with a voltmeter.

After verifying that the contacts are good. Check the starter solnoid terminals. They may need cleaning. Note the terminal near the battery has two 14AWG wires for the charging circuit. They should read 0 ohms when tested at the alternator battery terminal.

If everything is good... then check the Alternator.

One quick way is to start the car when the battery has been charged... and remove the Positive cable from the battery. If the engine dies... your not getting a charge from the alternator or charging circuit.

You can take the alternator and regulator with you to any good auto parts store and have them test them. Mostlikely it is toast. The diode trio's die easily... some times they are loose from being burnt out. You may check by using finger an lightly tugging on the spades.

what ever tests bad can be replaced there... In the past, I had a difficult time finding someone with a 65amp alternator. I alwayed ended up with a 35 and burt it out during the summer time. Air conditioning and stereo.

From what you have explained... I am pretty sure that everything else is in order and should not be a problem once the above has been done.

FYI, I always replace the battery when I replace an alternator. You may want to keep that in mind if alternator ends up being your problem.

chance1
08-20-2006, 10:21 PM
thanx dude ..i`ll check it out ,,,

Beilstreetblues
06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
New to this forum and would like some advice. I have a 69 AMX with vacuum wipers. It also starts hard if it sits for awhile. I thought it might be the fuel pump and thought I would replace it, as it is quite old anyway. Any thoughts as to that being the problem? Are these vacuum wiper fuel pumps still available or would it be better to rebuild the old, or switch to an electric wiper system? Thanks