PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Hangup

spyro
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Can someone clue me in on a problem that I suspect others have experienced before?

I have a 69 AMX and I recently installed a new electronic ignition system. In the process, I also cleaned up some of the wiring in the engine compartment that was looking pretty bad. After completing all this, when I attempted to start her up, the starter continued to spin.

I first suspected that maybe the ignition switch wasn't disengaging, but after trying a remote starter switch it didn't solve the problem. As soon as you start the thing, the engine fires off, but the solenoid never disengages the starter.

Is it possible that I've inadvertently replaced a piece of resistance wire in the starter circuit that was needed?

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

javelinjeff
09-22-2006, 11:17 PM
sounds like a bad solenoid(sticking-burnt contacts)if you have the wires connected right,try switching the two small wires on the solenoid--one goes to key switch,other goes to positive side of coil(gives full 12v when cranking).

spyro
09-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks much! I'll try switching the wires. I've already replaced the solenoid so I don't expect that's the problem.

spyro
09-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Switched the two small wires as you suggested, but it wouldn't even click at that point. Very frustrating!