PDA

View Full Version : what is this relay?

kinleydog
10-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I have a '74 Javelin and have been trying to identify what this relay is. From the wiring diagram, I believe it is the "starter relay". The connector with two wires has a light blue with black tracer and a pink/red wire. The connector with three wires has yellow, dark green and green with white tracer. The number stamped on the bracket is "3223099". A search of that comes up with nothing related to auto stuff. Above the numbers is a stamp of the AMC logo. There is a hole on the top where I believe a diode used to stick out. The diode has fallen off. The relay is mounted on the passenger side relatively close to the battery. The silver label is faded and does not have any visible numbers to help identify the part or give me a cross reference number. When I try to find a replacement, none of the parts houses that I've tried know what it is, nor do they have a cross reference. I have already found and successfully replaced the voltage regulator, horn relay and heater/ac relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/jjvide/74Javelin/Dsc03245.jpg

donald
10-13-2006, 12:16 AM
it sounds like it could be your emergency start button
my wifes 73 javlin has one right by the starer solenoid

kinleydog
10-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Donald, thanks for getting back with me on the switch. Are there any parts numbers on the switch from your wife's car? The guys at the parts store can't seem to find, nor cross reference, anything related to "emergency start button", "starter relay", "3223099", etc. Thanks again.

Javelin360
10-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I think the item you are asking about has something to do with the seat belt system but I could be wrong. I have one from my 74 if you want it, I'm not sure it still works though. I put a new harness in my car and no longer need it.

donald
10-14-2006, 12:21 AM
it sounds like it could be your emergency start button
my wifes 73 javlin has one right by the starer solenoid
ill check it out of soon as i can the car is in storage for the winter
but im sure thats what it is.it looks the same but with a red button on top

Javelin360
10-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Kinley,

I dug out the one we discussed. The silver tag is still on mine and all it says is emergency start see owners manual. I then dug out the original Owners manual for my Javelin and looked it up. I was correct about my earlier statement. It is an overide switch for the seat belt system. AMC had a wiz bang seat belt interlock system that prevented the starter from engaging unless you had your seat belt on. There were seat switches that sensed if there was someone in the seat. Most people just disconnected the the seat belt sensors and it overode the system. The switch is not nessasary for operation unless you plan on plugging in the seat belt sensors. I do not reccommend this as the system seemed to be very unrelaible in an AMX I had.

kinleydog
10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Very grateful for the indepth explanation. I don't have those seat belt sensors in my Javelin, so I'll just figure out how to go without the relay. You've been a tremendous help. Thanks.

kinleydog
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
I found this posted on the web.

DEFEATING THE SEAT BELT INTERLOCK SYSTEM

My Dad, who was an AMC Service Manager in the 60's and early 70's, sent me this tip on defeating the troublesome 1974 seat belt interlock system:

"As far as I can remeber, at the interlock relay under the hood, remove the pink wire from the relay and cut it off as close to the harness as you can. Discard it. Take the yellow wire with the black tracer out of the relay and put it where the pink wire was."

Hope this helps.