PDA

View Full Version : Some AMC info

trevorkoback
10-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I just came into the world of AMC products after being a devout MOPAR nut. SO please forgive the question....Are all AMC motors there own products or were they acquired from the big three like the some of the other power train components...Such as Trannys from dodge...rearends from???? Electrical components???? Like the AMC product and the exclusitivity of them...

Big Bad AMX
10-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Welcome to AMC trevorkoback!

All AMC V-8 and six cylinder engines were entirely designed, engineered and manufactured by AMC. AMC did not make a four-cylinder so they used Pontiac Iron Duke 4 cylinders in a few models in the later years. And the Nash Metropolitan used a Healy 4-banger. Keep in mind that Jeep used Buick engines when they were owned by Kaiser Willys - this was prior to AMC's purchase of Jeep. When AMC bought Jeep they were switched over to AMC engines.

AMC automatic and manual trannys were from Borg-Warner prior to '72. GM used Borg Warners in early Vettes as well. AMC used Dana 20 posi units in their AMC Model 20 rear-ends. GM and Mopar offered Dana 60 rear ends as optional equipment. All manufacturers sourced some of their parts from outside vendors.

Electrical items were AMC. A lot of the misconception comes from the comparisons of similarities of parts. As an example; The '70 AMX and Javelin front suspension is "just like" the '68 Mustang. Over the years "Just like" has been lost to "is". Even though there's not a single Mustang part that interchanges.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been told that AMC was cobbled together by everybody elses parts and that my AMX has a Ford 390 in it. And of course these people who say so "know it's true" because their brother's friends cousin had a Javelin back in high school and he said so.

trevorkoback
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I too have been informed numerous times that AMC just went to everyone's parts bins, pieced everything together which resulted in the demise of AMC, and now the so called acceptability of AMC products at Mopar meets..

donsjave
10-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I have been invited and attended the so called Mopar Meets in my Javelin and AMX. The problem is that some clubs who put these shows on are about the most ignorant group of people that I have ever met including the so called experts (Mopars only) that seem to know as much about AMC's as they do Mopars. Don't get me wrong here, these people are a small minority and overall the general Mopar people are a pretty decent lot. A couple of years ago I got into it with one of the experts and some language was exchanged that is not suitable for this web site. I do not even pretend to know a whole lot about Mopars and it's been years since I have owned a Dodge or Plymouth. Had a lot of fun in them, but again that was in my youth when you could buy them cheap.
As far wanting information, your'e at the right site, bunches of people here know a lot about AMC's and how to make them go faster. Have fun. :)