PDA

View Full Version : Carburator replacement

cali201
12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
I currently have a Holley whatever carb on my 390 AMX, R4B manifold. It leaks here and there staining my manifold. I am thinking about changing to one of the Edelbrock carbs, perhaps a performer. Is it a simple bolt on and go? What adjustments are needed if any. As you can tell from this question I am not that mechanically inclined. The folks I normally have do this work live quite far from me so I would like to do this if possible. And I was also thinking of putting on an Edelbrock polished manifold as well, how difficult would that be?

Big Bad AMX
12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm partial to Carter carbs myself, but since they're no longer available I'd go with the Edelbrock Performer, 600cfm for general street use. You're probably going to need to do some mild work to bolt it on in place of the Holley. Do you have/want/need an electric or manual choke? Linkage and fuel lines may need some changes made to them depending on what you have now. And for best performance it should be jetted/tuned to your application and altitude, though it'll work out of the box.

I'd stay with the R4B, it's a good intake and hard to find. If you do end up replacing it with a polished intake DON'T sell the R4B.

cali201
01-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info, I think I will stick with the R4B and a new carb.

cali201
01-01-2007, 12:11 PM
forgot to ask, what do you mean by "mild" work to bolt it in place of the holley?

Thanks again for the info