PDA

View Full Version : '69 AMX wheels and tires

RceDrvr
12-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Wheels and Tires 1969 AMX

I would like to update my wheels and tires to a larger, lower profile tire, without any body modifications. How can I find out what size tires I can use for 15-in wheels? 16-inch wheels?

How do I order wheels? What is the bolt pattern and offset?

Are Mustang wheels interchangeable?

Thanks, Mark

donsjave
12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I have put a set of Goodyear Radials size 235SR60-15 on my Javelin. Granted it is not a AMX, however the front of the cars are all the same. These tires fit good with no rubbing whatsoever nor did I encounter any other problems with them. I believe that the Fords rims will fit--- What you are looking for is any rim with a 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern should fit providing no one has changed your hubs. I do not remember the offset, however that should not be too hard to figure out. I have seen AMX's with as high as 20 inch rims, but my personal taste is to stick with the 15's. Besides I think that they kind of look gross, if you know what I mean. Another rim that I know will fit is the Chrysler rims from the late 60's to early 70's

Big Bad AMX
12-14-2004, 06:42 PM
When looking for a wheel / tire combo you must consider rim width, height and offset. With 15-inch rims, 15X7 with a 4 to 4.25 offset is about the biggest front and rear ( I wouldn't recommend larger rims on the rear, keep rims and tires the same size.) Keep in mind some tires have rounded shoulders, some have square shoulders. You won't really know what will and will not fit on a particular rim without trying them first. The max I know that will fit a 15-inch rim is a rounded or square shouldered 235X50X15 and the same in a 245X50X15 if you use a 3/8-inch spacer on the front wheels/rotors. The front trunnions need to be in excellent condition, same for the springs and the alignment dead stock.
I have no idea with the 16-inch or larger rims.
AMC, Ford, and Mopar used the same bolt pattern in the '60s and early '70s.

RceDrvr
12-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Thank you, Mark D.