PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

rwn
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Hello all..I have just purchased my first AMC...a '69 Javelin / AMX clone which attracted me to this sight...I know nothing about this style of car....I am interested in selling it and was wondering if you would give your opinions on what it's worth may be. What's up with that decklid spoiler :confused: ...isn't that a rare bird for an early body style....'70 only spoiler?? I have placed it in the classified section of this website....Thanks for your input...I am thinking of parting it out :eek: ...but it still seems too solid....make a nice hotrod

a440plus6®
02-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I'll give you 1000.00 Canadian for it. It's not a real AMX.....they did not come with 6cyl.....it's a clone.

rwn
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
I'll give you 1000.00 Canadian for it. It's not a real AMX.....they did not come with 6cyl.....it's a clone.

No thanks....Duhh......Javelin with factory 6

Double that poor offer..turn it into U.S. funds....and I'll think about it.....likely use it as a winter beater for work and back...will trade for Mopar

Big Bad AMX
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Welcome and thanks for stopping by.

FYI: I've read most of the thread at your link and to answer some questions:

The hood is a stock 68, 69 AMX hood. The grille is for a Javelin, not AMX (68,9 reproduction AMX grilles are available, Javelin grilles are not). The rear spoiler is a Donohue spoiler, first available on the '70 Donohue Javelin. Then continued from 71-74. Reproductions have been available for decades. The correct rear spoiler for the 1968, 69 Javelins is the Kaplan Wing Spoiler. The roof spoiler was available on Mod Package Javelins. Front parking light lenses look like they're from a 1970. The Turbine wheels were never available on a Javelin but were available on the '79, 80 Spirit AMX and GT. Your door panels look like 1970.

6 banger...not numbers match..upgraded to 250 CU I'm assuming you mean a 258 CI?

AMC raced the Javelin in the Trans-Am Series from 1968 to 1972. In five years the won two Trans-Am Championships (1970, 1971) and a Manufacturer's Cup (1968). (Mopar never even won a race).
http://www.amx-perience.com/Trans-AmRacing.htm
Original T/A film clips: http://www.amx-perience.com/1968JavelinBreedClip1.htm

Early six cylinder Javelins are hard to find but with the rust issues I'd guess it'd bring $1500-$1800.00, but it's tough to say for sure.

plus I filled about 1/2 my pickup box with extra parts
Such as?

rwn
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Welcome and thanks for stopping by.

FYI: I've read most of the thread at your link and to answer some questions:

The hood is a stock 68, 69 AMX hood. The grille is for a Javelin, not AMX (68,9 reproduction AMX grilles are available, Javelin grilles are not). The rear spoiler is a Donohue spoiler, first available on the '70 Donohue Javelin. Then continued from 71-74. Reproductions have been available for decades. The correct rear spoiler for the 1968, 69 Javelins is the Kaplan Wing Spoiler. The roof spoiler was available on Mod Package Javelins. Front parking light lenses look like they're from a 1970. The Turbine wheels were never available on a Javelin but were available on the '79, 80 Spirit AMX and GT. Your door panels look like 1970.

I'm assuming you mean a 258 CI?

AMC raced the Javelin in the Trans-Am Series from 1968 to 1972. In five years the won two Trans-Am Championships (1970, 1971) and a Manufacturer's Cup (1968). (Mopar never even won a race).
http://www.amx-perience.com/Trans-AmRacing.htm
Original T/A film clips: http://www.amx-perience.com/1968JavelinBreedClip1.htm

Early six cylinder Javelins are hard to find but with the rust issues I'd guess it'd bring $1500-$1800.00, but it's tough to say for sure.

Such as?

Thanks for info BIG bad AMX...so there are plenty of repop parts for AMC's huh....you are lucky...so maybe this car ain't worth much in parts either...I just thought due to the age this car may have had some value......it surely would if it were a real Mopar...I think I'll slap it on eBay with a $1500 reserve and see what happens....I'm maybe starting to regret purchasing this car. The front clip is very nice...and with the rechromed bumpers...fellow paid over $700 for chroming over 10 years back....I think these cars just aren't appreciated as of yet..as I do like the size and style of it...I have a 340 4 spd sitting idle on the floor in my garage....this car would go like stink with that in there.....but no time for another project right now. Dude I bought this from said the spoiler, hood and some other parts had come off a '70 AMX

Questions
...it has a honeycone style grill...so that is a Javelin part? Does this rear spoiler fit 71-4 body styles also..I would think not...but what do I know? How do I tell a 68 69 70 AMX hood apart? Are these fenders hard to get..these look pretty nice.....are these small bolt pattern wheels?...I know they interchange with Mopar...and appear to look like the dukes vector style wheels....Is that bad rust for these cars?....you should see what Mopar guys restore lol
Most other parts I recieved were trim parts and 6 cyl engine parts...and ya I think he said it was a 258cid...I'm sure it will likely need brake and front end work..and who's knows what else...I have never driven it on the street.

Thanks for your input

Big Bad AMX
02-28-2007, 05:32 PM
We're here to help ;)

Don't regret buying the car! You got a smoking deal in parts alone. Just the hood (if mint) should bring $750-$1,000, though it'll cost nearly that to ship. Shipping sheet metal is getting really expensive and is a real pain.

I prefer that the cars be saved and restored whenever possible but you need to decide what to do as far as selling it as-is or parting it out. Keep in mind the 3 year production total for the two-seat AMX is only 19,134. In 1968 alone they made over 55,000 Javelins. But go to an AMC show and you'll see far more two-seaters than Javelins. One reason being so many Javelins were parted out (especially 6-cyl) to save an AMX. The point being that even though they made far more Javelins than AMXs the early Javelins are getting hard to find. Whether or not this one can or will be saved with the rust probably isn't likely but you never know.

And to clarify: actually there are not a lot of repro parts available for the AMX or Javelin. Unfortunately, we can't call Year One and get a parts catalog the size of a phone book like some other makes can. And many of the AMC repro parts made within the hobby are, quite honestly, not very good. It's mostly a treasure hunt outside of items like the fiberglass parts, which are fairly easy to reproduce inexpensively so we're fortunate in that department. In fact, you can buy an entire AMX fiberglass body, fenders, hood, decklid, bumpers and doors. But, steel body parts are preferred and are likely never to be reproduced as the original dies were destroyed years ago. So those that survive in good condition are desirable items. Do a search on ebay for AMX parts and you'll get an idea of what I mean. NOS parts will bring unreal money but some excellent used parts will surprise you too.

To answer some of your other questions:

The rear spoiler will fit 68-74 AMXs and Javelins (however, a 71-74 spoiler will need a slight trimming on the outside lower corners to clear the 68-70 AMX rear quarter extensions) - the decklids are the same too. Your doors are the same as the AMX, but the door glass is Javelin only.

Interior pieces such as carpet, seat buns, seat upholstery and door panels are available reproduction. '68 headliners are too, not so for 69, 70. Dash, consoles, steering wheels, seats, gauges, knobs, sill plates and most other items are not.

Headlight doors (the headlight surrounds) for any year are not. Tail lights and housings are not, chrome/stainless trim is not. Steel bumpers are not. Windshields are, all other glass is not.

The exterior of the 1968 and 1969 AMXs and Javelins were unchanged. There is no difference outside of a few options like colors and add-ons. The interiors of the '69s were 'upgraded'. The drivelines are the same too. This is why the majority of repro parts are for the 68, 69. The 1968 and 1969 hoods have the hood blisters, the 1970 hood has the Ram-Air scoop on it and it is a little longer than the '68,9. Without going into a lot of specifics (which are listed here (http://www.amx-perience.com/1970amx.htm) you'll see the Ram-Air in the pic too) 1970 saw a lot of changes and are a one year only (except for the engines which changes continued until the end of production). There weren't enough 1970 AMXs and Javelins made to justify reproducing the majority of parts. Want a NOS '70 AMX grille? Cough up at least a few thousand $$, if you can find one. But 68, 69 AMX grilles are available repro. 70 AMX and 68-74 Javelin grilles are not. The honeycomb style grille sounds like a Javelin AMX grille covering, post a pic please.

AMC uses the same wheel bolt pattern as Mopar and Ford. At the time the Dukes aired we called the wheels on the General Lee 'Hurricanes' (though I don't remember exactly where we got that name) Vectors I haven't heard of. They look very similar but I think the AMC wheel has a larger 'step' in it.

The 258 engine parts aren't worth much at all. The trim pieces could be but it depends on what they are.

I realize dropping a Mopar driveline in it may sound appealing since those are what you know and is available to you but honestly it's not worth doing and would make the car harder to sell.

rwn
02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks again for your input....I do appreciate your knowledge with these cars.....if I was to put this car on eBay...what would you suggest I put for reserve amount on it.....here is a pic of the grill...I thought it was a honeycone style ...but appears as they are square hole...don't see any damage

a440plus6®
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Here are some pics of my 70 AMX390 waiting in line for resto plus some other stuff and the url to my website.....beware if you are on dial up.....lots of flash sigs.
http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/a440plus6/My%20AMC%20Stuff/

http://www.concourscreations.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

rwn
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Here are some pics of my 70 AMX390 waiting in line for resto plus some other stuff and the url to my website.....beware if you are on dial up.....lots of flash sigs.
http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/a440plus6/My%20AMC%20Stuff/

http://www.concourscreations.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

That is some pile(s) of parts you have......I think my Javelin may become a parts car...I certainly see the difference with the '70 now..I was hoping to make at least a grand for a flip.....looks like a 2000 dollar car to me...I have done some searching on eBay for AMC parts....seems like a small market......I usually deal with Mopar stuff......and people fight over the parts.....I sold a set of 71-74 A body buckets recently...ok condition..$660 final value...looks like my Javelin may have a set of '86 Daytona buckets installed....

What parts do you think may be desireable off this Javelin...front clip, trim headlamp extensions and bezels, grill. bumpers are quite nice...hood looks mint with no previous repairs...what could these parts be worth???..plus the work involved to remove these parts...get them on eBay..get paid and then ship them becomes a whole lotta work...if I got a grand for the hood and spoiler it may be worth trying...still a shame to wreck a restorable car...I would end up junking the unibody likely....Decisions

a440plus6®
03-01-2007, 06:40 AM
LOL, dunno for sure cause I'm a Mopar guy too.....on a fast AMC learning curve. Go to my website and you'll see. I restore Mopar cars and parts for a living.
Regards
Jerry

rwn
03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
LOL, dunno for sure cause I'm a Mopar guy too.....on a fast AMC learning curve. Go to my website and you'll see. I restore Mopar cars and parts for a living.
Regards
Jerry

Hey Jerry....looks like we're both on an AMC learning curve..lol....put the car on local craigslist last night...got a $2000 offer right away..but I am going to wait it out a little.....we'll see how it goes.....Mopar guy huh...wasup wth that jeep bouncing off your 6pak car on your website???..lol...I have a '71 BB Charger...looking for powerbulge hood with the R/T or superbee hood opening....no insert required....I have a mint one.....just trying to flip this Javelin for Charger funds

cali201
03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Why not put it on epay and set a reserve and see where it goes??? I had a friend try to sell me back my 1943 Ford GPW (WWII Jeep) just to keep it in "the family", for $6500. I know it was a good deal as I had sold him the Jeep 1 year earlier, but now I did not want it. He put it on Epay and sold if for $9300---soooooo, ya never know.

bigbad68
03-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Why don't you quite trying to make money on it and sell it for what you got into it. It is too hard to "flip" restoreable cars, why even try it. Put it on eBay and see where it goes, I am sure you can get your money back. Why didn't take the 2 grand from craigslist? Are you looking for a goldmine to open up with it in the next couple weeks? Sell it to someone who wants it and who will treat it right.

javelinjeff
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
saw the pics,cool looking clone/frankenstein javelin.sell it to someone who appreciates amc products PLEASE!.on a side note i took a 258 six and put headers,4 bbl clifford intake and hei ignition in a 69 javelin years back and it was a fun little daily driver that got 24 mpg when you drove it easy and it ran pretty good when you got in it too...just a thought

javelinjeff
03-03-2007, 11:35 AM
upon review of your pics it looks like a nice alll 69 javelin with 68/69 amx hood.the grille is 69 jav and the tailights/rear panel are definitely 68/69 jav or amx.i see no 1970 parts on that car.gold book value for that car is approx 4K in the condition it appears to be in.

rwn
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Why don't you quite trying to make money on it and sell it for what you got into it. It is too hard to "flip" restoreable cars, why even try it. Put it on eBay and see where it goes, I am sure you can get your money back. Why didn't take the 2 grand from craigslist? Are you looking for a goldmine to open up with it in the next couple weeks? Sell it to someone who wants it and who will treat it right.

Why don't you quit trying to make money on it and sell it for what you got into it....because I bought the car to make money on it........funds for my own project.
It is too hard to "flip" restoreable cars, why even try .....huh...aren't most of these cars extreme rust buckets...it is a '69...thirty eight years old....."flip" restoreable cars....huh...who doesn't want a "restorable" car?....I know on the mid to east coast of Canada most all old cars like this are non existent...I have had some inquires already! This car has lived on the wet coast all it's life...ie no salty winters

Why didn't take the 2 grand from craigslist? ...this fellow is a local muscle car dealer and the offer was 8 hours after I advertised it....offer still stands.....hmmm..a local dealer with a two grand offer instantly...I bet the car has still more worth here locally...told him $2800 come and get it ...
Are you looking for a goldmine to open up with it in the next couple weeks?......could likely get more on eBay....and let the rusty provinces and states fight over what they would likely think is a nice restoreable car.....but the hassle

But thanks for your input....again I am learning an AMC curve....cars are not appreciated "YET" in my opinion

Added pics of car

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/chgr500/?action=view&current=last1.jpg

bigbad68
03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
.sell it to someone who appreciates amc products PLEASE!.

P L E A S E !

javelinjeff
03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
saw the complete photo album,door panels are 1970 SST,same for mirror,spoiler could be 1970 donahue or repro.interior a little rough but not bad,aftermarket velour headliner cheap and improves alot.as for rust is there one out there that doen't have issues near rear window(arizona cars excluded),quite fixable.lots of valuable parts you have there on a COMPLETE car and since now you know the scarcity of these cars you can easily figure why that dealer offered 2K so quickly.just my 37 cents worth of opinion here,why not fix some of the easy stuff,make it presentable inside and i bet you'll make a decent return on that car

cali201
03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
If I recall it sold on epay for about $4200

Big Bad AMX
03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
If I recall it sold on epay for about $4200Wow, I never would have guessed it would have sold anywhere near that.

rwn
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
If I recall it sold on epay for about $4200

$4306.89us ...........sold to a fellow in Calgary....an AMC guy.....been looking for one for years.....80 watchers on the auction....seems to be a good market for the first generation body styles...or because of the AMX parts that were on it...had several inquiries if I would sell the hood......watch on epay for parts for this body style to be listed soon...
Now back to my Mustangs and Mopars..a little country with the S/C Mustangs and rock and roll with the Mopars..lol..gotta line on a '51 Ford pickup...moving...must sell......here I go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinjeff
.sell it to someone who appreciates amc products PLEASE!.

P L E A S E !........DONE!

and thanks for all your input with this car I received.

Big Bad AMX
03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Nice score rwn! Sounds like everybody is happy. Goodluck with your Mustangs and Mopars, and feel free to stop in anytime.

rwn
07-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Nice score rwn! Sounds like everybody is happy. Goodluck with your Mustangs and Mopars, and feel free to stop in anytime.

Hello..went to a Mopar show yesterday and look what I bought.....304..with 34,000 miles..uh oh! ....pick it up tomorrow

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/chgr500/Hornet/?action=view&current=P1020326.jpg

Big Bad AMX
07-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Woot! Nice '77 Hornet you found there.