PDA

View Full Version : 68 Javelin Rear Suspension

davekeon
12-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I have a 68 Jav SST Go Pack . I want to change the rear shocks with new ones. My question is ,there are two locations for the shocks. Which is the ideal. Currently, the shocks are located behind the axle with the bayonet ends up in the axle tunnel. The other location is in front of the axle, with the bayonet ends accessible from the rubber plugs in the trunk.Which is the best location for my car?

Big Bad AMX
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
The Javelins used staggered shocks, one in front and one behind the axle to help control wheel hop under acceleration and deceleration. The AMX 2-seater used both shocks on one side of the axle, but they all had the Torque Links from the factory to control wheel hop. The Javelins must use staggered shocks, the other way will allow serious wheel hop - not a good thing.

heyjavelin
02-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally there was a plate to relocate the driver's side shock? behind the rear axle. This plate fits over studs on bottom of floor pan. The passenger side rear shock is in front of the axle and bayonet end goes under plastic plug in trunk.

I get confused which is in front of and which behind but am 100% sure the passenger side mounts under the plastic plug in trunk and they are staggered. This is how my '69 is and it's original I am very sure.

There is 'some' evidence (in the parts catalog) that early '68 Javelins before a certain assembly line sequence number had some kind of different rear shock mounting. This reference is in the '67-'72 parts catalog I have. Not sure what exactly it means, but the reference is in there. Did some early '68 Javelins have both shocks on one side of axle W/O torque links? Reading it kind of makes you wonder, but I have never seen nor know of a TSB about it or a documented car.

The AMX two seaters had both shocks on one side of axle and the torque links as BB AMX stated. Both on one side without torque links would not be a good set up as far as wheel hop. The torque links would have been an added cost and I feel sure AMC would have went out of their way to avoid using them on the Javelins.