PDA

View Full Version : Stop Light switch

CloudyB
03-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I have 2 wires on the stop light switch(by the brake pedal) that aren't connected .I have no brake lights.Looking at the wiring diagram I see that one goes (green) to the directional signal switch connect and the red one goes to the fuse box stop light.(theres already a connector on it going into a harness)
My problem is the wires coming out of the switch is only about maybe 3 inches long each.
I bought another switch new with the same wire length.
I was wondering if some one could help me.I don't want to get rear ended.
If not much trouble could some one take a picture by the break pedal so I could see were the 2 wires go.
I have a 1970 javelin sst 390 eng.
I thank you so much in advance for any ones help.Thank you.

javelinjeff
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
remember the brake lights go through the turn signal control on the steering so that when the blinker is on the light flahes.i just looked at my 69 and mine has a plug that connects to the switch(1 red,1green)that goes up under dash.has someone cut the wires?yours may(most likely)have a slightly different connction to the steering column since you have the ignition switch on the column also.if someone has cut the wires you should be able to splice new leads on.

CloudyB
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks Javelin Jeff. The old one has a metal slide in on both wires.So does the new one. I appreciate your time in looking.I'll go look under the steering column again.
Thanks so much,I'll keep looking.

CloudyB
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Well no luck. All I see is a wire harness (11 wires)coming from the steering wheel Connected to another harness with 11 wires.No place to tie into.I'll keep looking.probobly so simple it would hit me in the face.Yea right.lol.Now I'm talking to myself.lol.lol.lol.

CloudyB
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
One last chance I guess. anybody have a picture where these two wires go to give me a general idea to try???
Thanks again for anybodies time.
Greatly appreciate it.

javelinjeff
03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
i went and chased the wires on my car,here is what i found. where the wiring harness splits for the radio and cig lighter there is a single green wire and a single red/white stripe wire that go to the brake light switch.on my 69 this split in the harness is about 9-11 inches to the right of center of instrument cluster plug.once these wires meet the harness they go opposite directions.the wires are not taped together as they run down to brake light switch.the red wire has a thin white stripe and the green wire is a solid medium dark green.happy hunting.
note:i had to remve center dash panel to see these wires(69 model)

CloudyB
03-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Javelin Jeff.You are awesome.Sorry for all your trouble on taking the DASH apart.Thank You Thank You.If anything I can do for you.Gonna check tomorrow.
It's people like you that makes you happy that theres still great people out there in this world.
I really appreciate your hard work and time.
Chris

javelinjeff
03-25-2007, 09:29 PM
no trouble at all,center dash pad just pops of on 68-69 models.thats what this forum is all about,fellow AMC owners sharing info.glad to be of help to you,although yours is a 70 yours should be similar as to where the wires are.AMC-ya