Boatswain9
12-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know of a repair kit for the power steering reservoir for a
1969 Amx or info on how to repair the original one. What about interchangable
ones. Thank you.

hterry1@cox.net

Big Bad AMX
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
NAPA Auto Parts stores and others should have what you need. The unit is common, garden-variety Generic Motors, fyi. 90% of the time what is leaking is the simple o-ring at the base of the bowl. Just remove the lid and clamp a set of Vice Grips on the stud below the threads, turn, remove stud, lift off bowl, find o-ring, replace with one you can even get from a local hardware store (round replaces square OK) and re-assemble. If you cringe at Vice Grips, the correct tool to remove the stud is called a "crow's foot". NAPA should also still have rebuilt pumps if yours is leaking from the output shaft. Don't worry about an interchange, the whole system is GM Saginaw and not impossible to find parts for and fix.

donsjave
12-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Later power steering pumps were changed from the Eaton Pump to that of the mid seventies GM Pump. AMC did the change in 72 and they are somewhat a little different in that GM pump sat a little different on the block. Sometimes the pump pulleys will not line up right. It's best if you can reuse the old Eaton Pump with the rebuild kit that is available. I have found that the Eaton pump is proabably the best pump out there in that I have a Eaton on both of my AMC's. One that is still operating without any leaks in 34 years of operation. The other one I had to replace in total except for the reservior. I was lucky in that Checker Auto Parts got me a rebuilted Eaton Pump minus the reservior. Put in the new o-rings and off I went. No problems, No leaks, runs just fine.

bigthor
01-20-2006, 01:58 PM
I want to thank donsjave for pointing me in the direction of Checker Auto Parts. I have a 1968 Javelin (in the family since she was brand new). Had a heck of a time finding a power steering pump here on the east coast. Read your post, Googled Checker, and got CSK Auto online. Called their customer service and made sure they had the correct pump in stock. Just ordered it. Hope it works as well as you said yours does. The express shipping charges were a little steep, considering it's coming from California to D.C. But after everything I've been through to find the part in stock, it's worth it! Thanks again, and thanks to AMX-perience Motors for having this helpful user forum. Your friend, Don. Hey, Javelin!

Calpwr
02-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Rock Auto on line carries the rebuild kit for around $12.00